Home made food for Mbuna

vegemite

I've read a few articles with recipes for Mbuna - one even from Ad Konings himself, so I decided to give it a go. I went browsing through a few sites for recipes and stumbled upon the article below.

I know it's hardly an impartial view - but it convinced me enough to leave the spirulina and gelatin in the pantry for now.

It's a long read but it has some great points that make a lot of sense.

I'd love some opinions after you have read it.

http://www.newlife.ipbhost.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=328

• 3 weeks later...

I dont feed exclusively but pretty close

All the Africans in the shop get mainly NLS with Brine and Mysis shrimp occasionally

I heard that I was allowed to send NLS into NZ but I never tried to

I know people here in tried to buy some from the states and it was held up at customs

Brad

I'm sure the guy that wrote the article would disagree but what it pointed out to me was that there is no point trying to concoct home made recipes to supplement their natural diet when the top line laboratories have created food that is better than their natural diet.

It's us humans that need to add variety to the fishies diet not because they need it but because we get bored feeding them the same thing all the time.

It's like dog food with veges and gravy and duck liver etc - it's packaged to appeal to the owner more than the dog cos the owner has the money.

As for Red Sea, I've used it and found it great.

It seems that NLS is the best but fact is you can't get it here.

I've just stocked up on SERA products for my mbuna - Flora Flake, Granugreen pellets and Spirulina tabs. They get a pretty good rap.

You get what you pay for.

We can get NLS food here not retail but import it ourselves.. I'm looking into it now and it does look possible, its expensive but if you get a large quantity it actually works out cheaper than buying smaller expensive amount's of sera or nutrafin food, and when NLS is supposed to be better I think it will be worth it.

Am looking into a bulk buy but I think it will get messy and more expensive due to the fact customs will try and put charges on it and maf want to do extra stuff at our cost for large lots.

"I have not heard about consignments not being permitted due to their

size however, large consignments may be deemed commercial and therefore

may be asked for a zoosanitary certification"

The cost of the food equals the shipping costs so im trying to get my dad to source it in asia and send it back through his company for cheap/free :)

yes, i am not sure what to make of this..... i would like to feed them the right thing i lot of time and money go into this...

Any if way if can get it here let us know ill try the 30 day thing...

But being away down here i can't see New Life Spectrum coming to a shop near you.

I use JBL Novo Rift and some blood worms and some shrimp brine from Aqua One

Iam sure this is the stuff my brother tried to get in but the cost was to high. Customs/Maf/Freight, just not worth it. Then trying to sell the stuff!! Not good.

I reacon just feed your fish a varied diet including cocktale shrimps and peas blended together works fine.

And now that summer is here ( :lol: joke) why not get a shallow tank, place it outside in direct sunlight. Place alot of small rocks inside and fill with water just above rock level. Let the lovely green algae grow and then feed your beloved cichlids. They love it and its awesome watching the Mbuna graze on it.