Can someone help id these plants please.

xmamx

Can someone help id these plants for me:

1: got from animates a couple of years ago

2: the red plant with jagged edges. Its quite a different plant, unable to find anything like it. It apparently came from a plant lfs supplier though.

3: got it a while ago from lfs in johnsonville, thought is was mouses ears but when i saw some pictures of mouses ears it didnt look the same.

Your guys help would be appreciated.

Xmamx

idthese.jpg

I think the second plant is sold down here as sawtooth or some similar name, is not realy an aquatic and will probably struggle to survive. Because people like red plants people grow them to sell to the shops but most don't survive very well. I grow alternanthera roseafolia reineckii but not rubra or Ludwigia perennis (of which I had two forms) because they do not handle submersed growth well and they croak on most people. I forget what the scientific name is for it----someone else may know. Perhaps we could rename it Petshop ripoffii

On a second look at the third picture it may be that the smaller leaves in the foreground have grown submersed like the tallest leaf and may become a nice wee plant. You can see by the algae that the existing emersed growth doesn't do much and any hope is in the new growth. If it is the older cruddy stuff could be removed later leaving a submersed plant.

Thanks alan,

The second picture is apparenlty call red sawtooth, or dragons tounge. I found the scientific name but left it at work. It is a non aquatic plant like you advised.

As for the third picture, i have had it quite a while and all leaves on it have been grown submersed. Since i got more lights it has been growing leaves quite fast which is good as the algae takes hold pretty quick on the leaves which is a pain and my clown loaches love the big leaves (pretty much destroyed it when i first bought it but it has come back to life). Bought some phos-zorb today to see if i can slow down the algae a bit as the SAES & Oto dont seem to worry about the algae on the big leaves. Are you sure it is mouses ears, as i saw some in the shop and it looked different. I may have to chop the stalk and replant as it is starting to get quite tall.

Also with the last plant, all leaves come from the single stalk, the two lower plants are seperate plants (3 plants in total).

I understand it was a popular pot plant in England in Victorian days. The best way to propagate it is to convert it to emersed growth then take off the new shoots when they have 3 leaves. They need heavy feeding when emersed. Another way is to float a stem until it grows submersed leaves and then remove them and plant them submersed.