Infusoria

Dixon1990

Get some lettuce leaves and pour boiling water over them (older lettuce leaves work faster. Leave for a couple of days. The water will go slimy looking. (I always speed it up by adding a bit of pond water). Strain the water through a hanky or something similar.

Yep, it does go brown. If there are microscopic bugs in the troughs it should be okay. Its not the colour of the water, its what is living in it.

I sometimes used to chuck some green water in from our pond but not lately - my husband thought he was helping me by emptying a tank of 'rainwater' sitting on the outside table into our pond, instead he emptied a tank of tap water and bleach into it. The pond is sure clear now!!! :oops:

• 1 month later...

I have recently started breeding, my first batch have just been sold. I found a book on breeding at Borders book store. It is called "A Practical Guide To BREEDING Your Freshwater Fish" from the Tankmaster series.

It covers a lot of the basics.

For Infusoria it gives the folowing recipe:

Place a piece of lightly boiled potato in a jar of old aquarium water and leave it open to the air. Keep it in a warm, moderately lit spot. After about a week the water will be cloudy with infusoria. Pour some in the tank and top up with aquarium water again.