Mesh for Moss Wall

xmamx

Does anyone know where i can get black mesh similar to the stuff in this Moss wall tutorial http://www.aquamoss.net/How%20to%20create%20a%20moss%20wall/How%20to%20create%20a%20moss%20wall.htm as i am going to make a xmas moss wall for a small planted tank i am going to setup.

I got some stuff from the garden centre and it is green with square holes about 1.5cms which is a bit to big for what i want, i really need some finer stuff that has holes around 6mm - 8mm and preferably black.

I tried bunnings, palmers, california garden centre, mitre 10 without success.

Can anybody help?.

Thanks,

Xmamx

Cheers guys,

I had a look at spotlight but did not see anything that really suited. I think they may have the cross stitch mesh which is white and apparently that might work. Really want black as it will blend into the back of the tank better. As for fish net stocking, i really need a more rigid type of mesh that will stay in place at the back of the tank better.

I have a moss wall kit that I imported from overseas. I was gonna do a DIY article for the aquarium world but it's kinda pointless once seeing that other article :)

Still think I'm gonna do the moss wall anyways but if you're keen to get a kit they're $20 plus shipping and come with everything in that article - 2 big pieces of black custom mesh, ties and suction cups.

One of our members made a huge moss wall the length of her 6ft tank by using the plastic coated wire mesh from garden centres. She held it up along the top using wire attached to the wall behind. It looked spectacular but she had to prune it a LOT as it kept getting out of hand.

Cheers for all the replys,

I bought some shade cloth from mitre 10 mega and i am going to use fishing line to attach it to the green large mesh i bought. I also bought some suction cups from $2 shop that are used to hold xmas lights (50 in a pack). I will have to thread the nylon through the rubber top part of the suction cups to attach them to the mesh as the glue gun didnt hold the rubber very well.

I have cut the green mesh to size and cut certain parts out to fit around tank bracing etc, nearly ready to put the shade cloth on the mesh and suction cups and then will put the moss in and put in the tank.

Cost so far:

$2.50 for large green mesh from palmers (a metres worth)

$2.50 for the shade cloth (about 1.2 metres or so)

$0 fishing line (allready had some)

$2 suction cups

$$ lots for the time heeheheh

The good thing is that i will be able to make 2 walls now. One for my 2foot 100 litre main tank and one for my other 2 foot shallower tank (about 50 litres or so). I have loads of java moss in my main tank so that wall will be java and in my new planted tank i will be using xmas moss.

Saying that my java moss in my main tank looks like xmas moss as it gets lots of light. When i moved some to my little dark tank it grows more spindly like the pictures of java moss on the net.

I Finally sold the last of my apple snails from my 50 litre tank and now i can put in new substrate and plant it up yay. I will post some pics of my progress in making the moss walls if ppl want to see how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i finally made both the moss walls. The following pics are of the second one with Xmas moss in it with no backing behind it (need to put some on to make it not so see through).

To make the walls i cut the green mesh to size and cut out bits to fit around bracing etc. I then tried to glue the suction cups to the mesh but it did not hold so i ended up drilling holes through the top part of the suction cup and then threaded the nylon through the hole and tied it to the green mesh. Once i did that i cut the shade cloth to size and then threaded nylon through and tied it to the green mesh in enough places to seal it.

I then put the moss inside, and threaded it all up and washed and put in my tank.

The larger wall for my main tank had about 3 handfulls of java moss in it so i managed to leave no gaps where i only had a handfull of xmas moss for the second wall so i had to spread it out a bit more.

The java moss wall is starting to slowly have bits of moss coming through the mesh which is good as i made it last weekend.

Here is some pics of the second wall on my newly planted tank setup.

wall.jpg

• 1 year later...

I wouldn't use twist ties TBH, because they have a history of leeching whatever metals they have in them into the water. I know of one guy who used twist ties to hold his wood together and it killed half of his fish! Turns out the twist ties he used had copper in them or something along those lines. Plastic zip ties are good, you can fix anything with zip ties and duct tape.

• 1 month later...

I had a moss wall a for about 6 months, but once it filled out, it got full of crud in the water and fish got stuck between layers and behind it. It was more hassle than it was worth, but it did look good for a month or so before it got bad looking.

Another good way is using gutterguard, it's about $2.00 for a roll at bunnings, and it's quite rigid so it holds itself up.