Air and filter

jhct

Is there any rules about the amount of air pumped into a tank via air stones??

Not really. Like Banana says it depends on your fish. Hillstream loaches can basically live in whitewater rapids, I dont think that you could ever over-aerate their water without blowing most of it out of the tank. Likewise bettas and guppys dont like strong currents.

Most of the filtration and aeration will be done by your power filter. Look at the airstones as an optional extra. They do help with the aeration and water movement in the tank, but mostly they are a decoration, they just look good.

Also how do i know the filter i am using is going to be ok for da fish i.e litres per hour is it too strong?

The filter packaging will have a suggested tank size for that filter. Use that as a guide. Depends on how much flow you want in the tank, and how heavily stocked your tank is. If you have smaller delicate fish go with a lower flow filter and a diffuser bar to avoid strong currents in the tank. For big strong fish that are messy eaters, BIG filter and lots of flow. I have a 1200lph filter in my 200l tank, the plecos, tiger barbs and kribensis love it. But it blows guppys out of the water :roll:

Cheers

Ian