botia lovers

ben

Hi all

Does anyone here keep botia (loach) species? They form the bulk of my collection, and am keen to discuss experiences/offer help/get help etc..

Species that I keep include

Botia Macracantha (clown loach)

Botia Modesta (blue botia or orange-finned loach)

Botia Hymenophysa (awesome!)

Botia Horae (skunk loach)

Botia Striata (golden zebra loach)

Botia Almorhae (aka botia lochachata(sp?), yo-yo loach, pakistani loach)

also

Horseface loaches (terrific with sand)

Black Kuhli loaches

Giant Kuhli loaches

I am looking for a good home for my four Botia Modesta. albeit reluctantly!

I don't really want to take them to a pet store (at least, not a pet store in Wellington). They are similarly sized at about 4 inches SL. My biggest, Rocky, would be 5 inches. They will supposedly max out at about 6 inches in the aquarium. I don't want to split the group of four, and I don't really want to put them into the hands of a courier. But I'll offer them FREE to a GOOD home! I'm in Wellington.

Ben

yeah I am a botia lover!

I have 2 clown loaches that I have had for two years and are ~5" very slow growers!

I used to have a botia modesta, a badass fish! he wasted a couple of fish in my tank including my beautiful siamese fighter. So you are in wellington, where about? I agree with you in saying you shouldnt give them to a pet store here. Infact I have got most of my fish from hollywood fish farm, i have got an archer(very cool fish) a giant gourami a orange chromide and a siamese tiger. I have had my siamese tiger from them for about 1 month now and he along with my fire eel is my favourite fish. Although i payed a pretty penny for him!

So your also a puffer lover ay? I am sure you could get a giant or nile puffer but as I said on another post at 2'+ they would be able to take a finger off!

• 3 weeks later...

I used to have 16 Clown Loaches.

They were all quite big (150-250mm Long). They were great. I kept them in he same tank as 10 Geophagus surinamensi and 10 Geophagus jurupari. I had them for about 5 years. I got most of them in Rotorua from a guy who had them for about 5 years. That made them about 10 years old (mmm I can add!)

I used to really like them (were my favourite). One day I got home and all 16 were dead. I have no idea what killed them. They were fine in the morning, but at 5:00pm when I got home they were all floating at the bottom. None of the other 20 fish had anything wrong with them. It was bizarre! I was totally gutted. So much so that I've not got back into keeping them again. I will one day however as they are on my top 10 list.

Yip, many of them did look like Thunderbird 2. I think it is also the easiest way to sex them. I think the female have fatter guts than males. Does anyone else know a conclusive way to tell them appart?

They had faded a bit. Did you know that clown loaches can live for 70 years if you don't accidentally kill them first like me.

You had to be carefull feeding them. They loved bloodworms. They always came to the surface to rip them out of your hand. They've got very big nasty teeth when they get 250mm long. I had chunks bitten out of my fingers a couple of times (slow learner). It wasn't intentional, they just mistook me for food.