Help getting canister filter started, Eheim 2224

michael.qian

I haven't had any problems with them..

A filters flow rate (ie 1200LPH) is given with no media in it and also no pipes connected, once you put media in, stick the filter on the ground connect it all up the vertical height from the filter to the tank is the head height (the height the filter has to pump the water up).

All of these things slow the stated filter flow rate down..

Ryan you are tad wrong there. External filter have NO head height operating on them at all, because the water enters and exits at the same height (tank water level) So the pressure pushing the water down the tube (the siphon) is pushing it up the other side aswell. However, if you had a sump setup and used an external filter to suck the water from the sump, and blow it out in the tank above, you would get a very slow rate as that is not what a filter of that type is designed for. The filter will die prematurely too. A 1200LPH filter is just that. If you hook it up to your tank, WITH NO MEDIA OR TRAYS it will pump 1200LPH of water (or there abouts). Once you put the media into the trays and into the canister, the flow rate significantly drops.

HTH

They'll probably pump 1200lph with no intake piping and a tailwind while being chased by a marketing guy with a knife...:P

I tested a couple of my fluval 404s once, they're rated at about 1200lph. With no media or anything and no head height they were pumping ranging from 600-900 LPH. An eheim might be a bit better that.

So how high up the tank is has no affect at all because the pressure of the syphon has the same affect?

I didn't think of it that way, have tried to use a spare external to pump to pump water for water changes and it doesn't like it very much at all!

That's right. Well, a little bit due to frictional losses in the longer hoses for a taller tank, but that's not huge anyway.