Big Catfish?

CatBrat

Yes, you can get red tailed cats. You can also get black sharks that get to about 2 feet. I think they're considered catfish. There are also the wild/feral/whatever ones you want to call them in some rivers, I think a lot are around the Taupo area? Not sure on their size or legality of keeping them.:)

Hi Ira,

Wow, I did not think that you could get RTC in NZ. Have you seen them, and do you know what sort of price range? I guess they have to be ordered as I have never seen them in shops.

I think the wild catfish that you are talking about is a type of Bull Head and I don't think that they are allowed to be kept. Also, is the Black Shark the same as 'Morulius chrysophekadion', if so not really a cat :lol: .

Cheers, CatBrat.

I haven't actually seen RTCs for sale in shops, but I HAVE seen one in a display tank in Wet Pets in Palmy. So...There are at least some around.

Yeah, you're right, black sharks aren't cats, don't know why I was thinking they were. They're vaguely cattish though.

• 2 months later...

Caryl where's the second pet shop you've seen them in?? I've seen photo's of the one in palmy and I've been thinking of making hte trip down there to see it. I'd love to keep one, maybe one day when I build that 2000L tank..... :roll:

There was a chappy in Auckland that had great expectations of breeding RTC. His efforts failed, I know at least one of them died.

A friend of mine here in Whakatane bought the other, and brought it back in a bath, with another bath, g-cramped to that.

Stopping once on the way to do a water change.

He only kept it for a short period, before on-selling it to Wet Pets, Palmy.

I also think that they, Wet pets, have lost one or two over the years

Tanks too small in my opinion.

They were brought in illegally by a person that shall remain unnamed, but was a legal importer, tall, and with a beard. He was also the one that brought in some"bitterlings" under the false name of "asian rainbows".

Alan

i have owned a red tailed cat, what an amazing fish! but alot of work and money to feed them.

they need a big tank and i know of a guy that had them in a heated swimming pool years ago, they come up for sale every so often.

but you really need a big tank .Tiger/Zebra Shovelnoses have been brought in once but you dont here of them as been round, most people that got them have keeped them, in other words they did their homework before buying a big fish, mind you for the price they paid i would have to, i lost out on getting on when the bid got over$2000 and that was over 7yrs ago.

oh and because both of them are on the band list they will not be coming in again, well unless someone has big balls :lol: