Logs

Jo

I have used a container/sink and filled it with boiling water from the jug. It helps get the logs to sick much quicker. Also if the log is floating stick something heavey on it to hold it down. I change the water 1 or 2 times a day. My experance it takes about 4 days.

Good luck

Pies

I don't know that boiling makes an appreciable difference to the leaching, just makes themsink a little faster. Someone said it you use baking soda (rinsing well afterwards so you don't stuff the pH) it gets the air bubbles out so speeds sinking as well.

I think the only thing to do with the leaching is frequent water changes until it levels off or leave it as it is. I have seen some lovely setups with the water a tea colour to great effect.

Thanks everyone. I will try more frequent water changes and baking soda then. I do not have a problem with them sinking at all. These logs have been soaked for about 3 months and they are still leaching. It makes people think the water is dirty although we assure them this is not the case. I wonder if it is the type of wood we are using (Malaysian Hardwood). I have used driftwood from the beach but it occassionally develops a white fungas which looks terrible.

I use Malaysian hardwood root and I can tell you it NEVER stops leeching! The leeching does more good than bad, but doesn't look the greatest.

There is a soultion though. Run some activated carbon through the water and change it often. Carbon polishes the water and strips the colour agensts out. It does't effect much else (in freshwater). Its important to change it often though as after time it will break down a release all the toxins back into the water...

Also with carbon it will stop any medication from working, so don't use it on medicated tanks. My tank water when running carbon is crystal clear.

Good luck.

Thanks Mark, We do have carbon in the filters but will set something up at home with a filter operating and try and remove the colour that way. The logs are purchased and eventually do loose the leaching. Water changes do improve the colour but it keeps comming back!