Tropheus moorii

JoandWilly

Feed them vegie foods only. eg; Spirulina flake. Feed little amounts couple times a day.

Keep there water clean.

Best kept in colonies of 12 or more. Males can be very unforgiving aggressive little things. Some will say at least 15.

Tank size 4ft or bigger. I have seen good tropheus set ups in 4x2x2. 4x15x18 may be to small in the long term for a colony.

Water conditions, hard. ph 8 or more. Import to keep stable & well oxygenated.

Prone to bloat, it is different to Malawi Bloat & harder to treat. Make sure diet is right & water is kept very clean.

Because wholesalers & lfs are not the best sometimes. Buy some metro before you get the tropheus, just in case.

Have a read here,

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/tropheus_corner.php

Frenchy :D

I think rcon021 has a colony or 2 of moorii he could tell you how he has kept his.

I just kept mine as I kept any of my Africans, food wise I give them spiralina flake either from sera or tetra with jbl nova rift sticks for algae grazers and sera granugreen.

During the week I only get to feed them at night so I give them a couple small feedings and during the weekend I try to feed them as often as I can with really small amounts.

I keep duboisi and 3 black sp. of tropheus and have found that the duboisi were harder to keep alive from 3-4cm to sub adults/adults which is roughly a year which has slimed down from 8 young to just 3 with my other adults.

Things to look out for: Well its pretty hard with the little guys as soon as they dont come out to eat or even if you can see them around but still dont eat...they probably have bloat if you can get your hands on some metro? I think?

I see your on cichlid forum so they have stickys for bloat in the tropheus section I believe. Hopefully my jibba jabba will help you out :roll:

These guys can get pretty agressive. Had five living together for a number of years (two males and three females) but never breed. Over a couple of month lost one and had to seperate all but two which are living together with a coloney of E.Yellows. They breed about every couple of month spitting out 3-4 fry.

Go figure ah :-?

Alot of people recommend 12 plus in a group but read on the net somewhere that a breeder only breeds from groups of two or three for all his tropheus.

My Ikolas are in a pack of five doing well. The Tropheus Brichardi where in a group of four, breed two times with 12 fry, but now all separated. Duboisi yellow bands in group of 12 and whites in two. The bulu points, Ive given up. They must be the most aggressive B*#$ ive ever had.

The best thing ive found is a large tank, lots of rocks and very dense planting (plastic). Give the females a chance to hide.

I have seen more hard luck stories than good ones with people who try to keep tropheus in small numbers. In the long term, it doesn't work well.

As said, tropheus variants can vary in aggression, duboisi are the most docile of the tropheus. But it mostly comes back to the fish as a group & how they get along.

I found demasoni to be me aggressive amongst themselves than tropheus.

Have brought 12 and are in a 1220x460x460 tank, so far had them one day and are all eating fine, at the moment using jbl novo vege flake and jbl novo vert which is a granule. Found out supplier was feeding them ox heart and blood worms and standard flake after i brought them, would you recomment soaking all there food in metro for a week or so, have got ahold of metro so have no problems there.

I would as a pre caution. Especially with what foods you have mentioned.

Glad I mentioned that point to you. I always remember a well known self importing lfs here, the wife would feed all fish the same high protein mix they had. Wondered why she killed tropheus. :roll:

But ox heart & blood worms, well that is even higher on the stupid scale. Almost worth classing as an idiot.

Did you mention to them they are herbivores? As in strictly algae eaters? Just so they might do better with the next lot.

• 2 weeks later...

my female tropheus duboisi spawned and has a brood in her mouth she's currently in with 9 other duboisi and 6 boesmani rainbows ( they've learnt to live on spirulina, would u guys recommend that i remove her or would that make her swallow?

ps. can u feed duboisi mysis and brine shrimp? i heard that u could because they're very high in roughage...

thanks

I dont know what to do with your holding fish, I would probably leave her a while and see what she does strip her if she holds long enough, if its one of her first broods she may well spit or swallow early..

I was always told never to feed tropheus anything but vege based foods unless you get get hold of NLS..

If it's her first go then I would let her stay in the tank at least for 3wks and see how she is then because she will still feed with a mouthful. If you have a few little rocks or coral rock in the tank eventually she may want to spit in the tank or you may want to strip up to you really they can hold for like 5-6wks if they want to.

she spat them out while i was watching!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: there must have been about eight eggs, but the others just swooped and now they're gone. still at least i know ive gt a female ready to breed... the others hav finally just about lost all their spots and my one big definite male has been displaying a lot lately so hopefully ill have some more potential (and hopefully more capable) mothers.

• 1 month later...