Planning a 50L tank

Janelle

I measured my mum's tank and I think it is 50L.

The tank is old so we just want to make it subtropical like mine, and then she can have some of my fish too. I'm going to give her my old ADV Shark powerhead filter which will give the tank a very strong flow. If it's too strong I'll just see if I can make her old filter operational again (not sure if it's still working).

I need to downsize my own tank so I want to give her some of my fish. I'm happy to let her have any number of the following:

4 pearl danios

3 platies (1 male, 2 female)

Up to 3 of my 7 peppered corys

Almost forgot to add: 6 white cloud mountain minnows

If I definitely give her the pearl danios, what others would you recommend I give her, and what could we get for a feature fish? I will be giving them pillboxes with pre-measured feedings for the week, and coming around to maintain the tanks once a week, but otherwise they will be in the hands of enthusiastic but inexperienced fish people. I have no idea what would make a good feature fish for a 50L tank.

Thanks for any suggestions.

:lol: jn, she won't be "looking after" them! It will be like another tank for me but staying at her place. Plus she has a lot of fish enthusiasts staying at her place. By enthusiasts I mean people who want to help out with the fish but are all really hopeless! But maybe I can teach them proper care of fish. =)

Believe me, I will make sure the fish go to good new homes before I move too far away to take care of them, haha.

You could allways be cunning and set it up as a WCMM breeding tank. Put in 6 WCMM and a bunch of java fern and wait a month or so...

I'm sure your Mum would be excited to see all those cute little baby fish and you get to net out a dozen or so extras each month :wink:

Otherwise your community fish will all be happy in there, with a sensible sized filter. You could allways go with an undergravel for that size tank anyway.

Cheers

Ian

Would your mum like an internal filter capable of 50ltrs so as not to blow them out of the water onto the carpet and get trod on? ( wouldn't want a squelchy carpet ) if yes I will send you one if you pm me with an address.

Thanks for the offer, jim r. I think I will just make sure her other filter still works first. It was a small filter with a spraybar which was a good size for her tank, but it has been so clogged with goldfish waste that I'm not sure it was actually working and not just making motor noise.

Ianab - I did originally get those WCMM to breed from. If I heavily plant the tank maybe I can also sneak in my platy trio under the guise of feature fish too. :D Surprisingly, she did like the WCMM even though they're not the brightest or flashiest of fish, just because they are very active in my tank. Thanks for that suggestion, I quite like it. =)