My new tank and photos

mitch

as i said got them on trade me ( MRSkz from this site) they came from a tank where all the breeding pairs were in so crossbreeding with the Yellows may have happend. (Any way they look the same in the Fish shop.) he changed in coloration after about 3

months

Here is the add...

Pseudotropheus zebras (blue zebras)

Reserve met | Closed: 7:03 am, Fri 15 Sep 2006

The Pseudotropheus Zebra Cichlid is also known as the Blue Zebra Malawi Cichlid and comes from the rocky shores of Lake Malawi, Africa. The coloration of the Cobalt Blue is a pale blue background with seven to eight blue-black bars with four, orange egg-shaped spots on the anal fin.

The Cobalt Blue will do best in a cichlid community aquarium with numerous rocks and caves with a sandy bottom and plenty of places to set up territories. A laterite-based substrate is ideal for this system as it will help to maintain the necessary alkalinity.

In my book it kooks like Metriaclima Zebra can not find the above (This is what i had the frist time)

As I said above I doubt they have bred with the Yellows

Its your females that look different as well

If ll your Lombardoi looked true and u got dodgy fry then I might entertain the idea but seeing the females look dodgy and have the same problems as your fry then I will say your adults are crossed

As Lomardoi and Zebs are fairly agrressive I wouldnt imagine a yellow getting involved especially when they are other females around

Plus the fry are showing Zeb characteristics even more heading towards a zeb cross

Brad

Thanks... then i take it i can change things back to Metriaclima Zebra then?

No sorry you can't call them that either. They are a hybrid. Scientific names are only given to pure discovered species.

The only thing you can call them is a zebra, as a common name.

Also, they haven't crossed with the yellows, they show no characteristics of an electric yellow.

Frenchy :D

Mitch I will make it easy for you

They are a Zeb/Kenyi cross

Thats exactly what you can call them nothing else

Scientific names are for true species

The male looks fine to me but the females do not

Though if they all came from tank and same parents at the start then I wouldnt call the male true either

Your best bet is to keep them and dont sell them

If you want to bred Kenyi then get some stock that look true

Brad