black beard algae + Flourish Excel

evil_elmo

I would do a large water change before you start dosing the Flourish Excel and make sure you only double dose the regular dosage and not the initial large dose. Keep a close eye on your fish and if they show signs of stress do a 50% water change immediately. I lost a few fish last time I tried to double dose.

If the Black beard algae is on your rocks and driftwood you can pull the affected items out and pour boiling water over them which gets rid of it pretty quick - don't try this on plants or the tank though :o .

Cheers,

Matt

The only fish that don't like it in my tanks are guppies and thay are producing replacements OK. I use at the normal rate and do a 50% water change once a week. I understand that the flourish has an algacidal effect but mainly encourages the plants to grow and therefore strip the nutrient from the algae. I leave the lights on and do water changes to help also. It works but it takes a few weeks.