ANY OF THESE IN NZ?

hevalump

orange Flash Cacatuoides

Double Red Cacatuoides

Haplochromis

Labidochromis Caeruleus

Electric Blue Dempsey

Double Red Agassizii

(Excuse the mixture of latin and other names, just using what info they had.....) Cool fish....... has anyone got any or know someone/some shop that does?

• 1 month later...

Similar question (but different fish) I've always wanted to keep a red devil (Amphilophus festae) or trimac (Amphilophus trimaculatus) but have never been able to find them.

I have a contact in australia who is able to get them for me, but how would I go about importing them into New Zealand? Has anyone done anything like that before, any info would be useful.

Don't even bother trying to import them. It's practically impossible.

And, Red devils are very common, shouldn't be hard at all for somewhere to order them. I know of one near here with about a dozen and usually ahs more. I think i've seen trimacs before, but I'm not sure.

Don't even bother trying to import them. It's practically impossible.

And, Red devils are very common, shouldn't be hard at all for somewhere to order them. I know of one near here with about a dozen and usually ahs more. I think i've seen trimacs before, but I'm not sure.

Just had a look at the picture of the red devil you linked, they don't look anything like that. Not the red devils here. Anyway. They're a solid yellowish color.

The Festae is a Red Terror not a not a red devil. A red devil would be either Amphilophus citrinellus or Amphilophus labiatus. Like Ira says Red Devils are commonly available, however which of these two species are commonly sold is hard to know, probably a hybrid citrinellus/labiatus mixture these days as the two species look very similar and have bound to have been accidently interbred at some stage.

I am pretty certain that both Trimacs and Festaes are not available in NZ. However I am sure there that there must be a way to get them in as Flowerhorn cichlids are now available here and they seem to be mostly hybrids based on Trimacs. If you ever manage to find one of either (Trimac or Festae) I'd be interested.

DOH! Yeah I meant red terror, not devil!

Where have you seen flowerhorns for sale? They are a relatively new species/hybrid arent they, so there must be someone willing to import different cichlids. [either that or someone here has a rd and a trimac they crossed, in which case I'd hunt them down and slap them for not breeding pure trimacs] I've heard stories of a dodgy importer, who for some strange reason had his importers license taken off him, who brought in koi and piranha and other rare/illegal fish under false names.....

Midas is right about the red devils, they are a mixture here too. :(

I have festaes, 5 of them growing up nicely in a 6 footer, I have a definate m & f, dont know about other 3 , still only midgets.

cichlids are big here nothing on USA, while there is nothing on the allowable list here, what we have in the country is really good :wink:

I picked up some altolamprologus compressiceps; mutondwe"gold heads" during the week. very nice, while we dont get the catties for the price you's do,(not on allowable list, but still attainable) Ill take the cichlids anyday.

Frenchy :D

• 2 weeks later...