Best Beginners Setup

Fmxmatt

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I was actually just coming on here to ask about drilling haha. If its a glass tank, drilling should be fine? And is it something I can do or should I really get a glass person in?

Secondly, I have been considering that 5ft tank on Trademe. I reckon I can find the room BUT, finding 4 people to lift the tank itself will be a pain in the ass. Do you think it would really take 4 people to lift it?

i know of 1 person in akl with a corner marine tank. get the right reflector and you'll only need 1 250watt+ metal halide. it looks really good too. getting a tank drilled depends on whether its tempered glass or not. don't bother if it is. otherwise all that money you spent on it will be a waste as it will shatter...

How would I know if its tempered glass?

http://www.juwel-aquarium.de/en/trigon.htm?cat=23

Thats the specs on it (check the PDF's at the bottom)

If anyone with a bit of knowledge can have a quick squiz and give their expert opinion i'd much appreciate it.

I'm going to email Redwood Aquatics and ask about the glass, hopefully they will know!

Cheers for all your help people, this is making things ALOT easier for me! :)

So when you say overflow (sorry still getting used to the terms) its basically an acrylic box on the inside of the tank which when fills creates a syphon which sends the water through a pipe (which goes over the side of the tank, not thru a drilled hole) and down to the sump where it does its thing and is sent back up the opposite side of the tank via the return pump and back into the aquarium?

If my assumption of "overflow" is correct, that would mean I could get the tank, sort it out and organise the sump at a later date?

having an external overflow box makes the tank stick lots further out from the wall, imo not a good look for a corner tank. I tried to get a tank drill here in auckland 4 months ago, glass merchants wouldn't touch it as it was an existing aquarium. I had mine cut by a tank maker who was happy to do it though so I would sugest trying your local tank maker.

Both my juwel tanks which are the rios (so slightly different) have holes drilled in the base for the sump, so i know it can be done on the rios. Redwood aquatics in chch have done marine conversions on the juwel tanks in the past (not sure if they still do). The marine tank i bought just recently is a rio 400 and the previous owners had it converted over through redwoods, hope this helps!

Not having much luck getting any info out of the person selling the Trigon 350. Is it worth me having a look at the 190 Litre option?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pets-animals/Fish/Fishbowls-tanks/auction-114586583.htm

Or am I best to go look in the pet stores for a new unit? I'm cashed up as of tomorrow and dead keen on getting started. Jolliolli sent through some pics (thank you very much! :) and now i'm itching to get started! haha

Righto, so tank is sorted (350 one yay!) Now for the next step.

I've decided to have a go with this tank without a sump, as it is alot bigger than I thought it would be and all the gear is fairly unintrusive. Obviously things can change but at this stage I think its easier for me while learning to go with the easier option.

So, tank is clean, what do I need now? If possible i'd like to get it setup this weekend so I can have it settle & cycle over the next 2 - 4 weeks. Do I need to go and purchase sand, live rock and salt?

Cheers :)

Couple of things, what sort of tank is it? One of these ones with built in skimmer etc?

2 - 4 weeks to cycle the rocks is not going to happen, unless you get already cycled ones.

I suspect you might be so keen to get this up & running you are rushing things, could regret this later. If you have not already read it there is a beginner guide as one of the threads at the top of the saltwater section on the forum, check that out to get an idea of the basics.

Like you, I had fresh water aquariums before I went to salt water. However a salt water aquarium is more complex and takes longer to set up than a fresh water one, something I learned the hard way.

But one thing, setting up a marine tank takes most people a few weeks or a few months. If you want to keep the tank for a long time, it's best to go slow during the set up phase and do it right, it's hard to change things later. And good idea to contact someone in your area and have a look at their tank & how it is set up, very helpful to see first hand.

You can start cycling rock if you wish, before even setting up the tank. It can be done in a plastic tub, just need water, a pump to make circulation, and heater and skimmer are optional but help.

Since this will take 6 weeks minimum before it can go in a tank with fish, doing it this way will get things rolling but still give you time to set up the tank.