Plants on the menu. HELP!!!

seahorse

Hi every body.

I'm back and I've got another good problem that I could do with some help with please.

A friend has five very large goldfish in a sizable tank, but would like to make it a lot greener looking than what it is.

The problem is that no matter what sort of plant, or its size or how much she weighs it down, the fish seem to take great pride and joy in picking it apart or just gobbling it whole.

We have tried feeding them more while we are trying to get the plants to take, we even added lettuce leaves to try to distract them, but they just devoured those and moved back to the menu of plants.

So she gave up on live plants for a while and got some plastic ones but found that the fish were just damaging themselves on them, so removed them again.

If anyone has some suggestions they would be gratefully received.

Goldfish love the juicy roots and new bits at the bottom so nibble there, or do their darndest to pull the roots up so they can get at them!

I had great success with mass plantings of Java fern in my goldfish tank. These are too tough for most fish to eat and goldfish are no exception. They certainly munch on it, but not as much as softer plants, and the Java usually grows faster than the goldfish can eat.

You have to put up with nibbled leaves when you have goldfish but you will have less nibbled bits with Java fern.

Java is a very hardy plant and tolerant of most conditions so easy to grow. Cold water does not bother it (well, not in a indoor cold water tank anyway).

Good luck :D

• 5 weeks later...