Cycling a second tank...

fievels007

Get the filter you want to use in the new tank, and put it in the old established tank for two weeks or so. then just transfer some water over, transfer the filter over, and chuck a heater in. quick cycle..

Or you could be like me and setup a tank, fill it with water, put a heater in and put the fish in. half my breeding tanks dont have filters, they just run on a heater and airstone, and i do water changes every day or two....

I have a 35 litre tank, and started a 180 litre tank 5 weeks ago. I gravel siphoned 10 litres out of my small tank, ie got as much guck from the gravel as possible. Then siphoned the bucket guck back into my new tank (via the overhead filter, through the filter wool). Did that again almost a week later.

Added my 2 Danios on day 3 after filling tank, then 5 more on day 6, did a water test every few days, never even registered ammonia or nitrites. I suppose they may have spiked inbetween tests, but as the fish are happy, I doubt it. Added neons 2 weeks after filling tank. Neons spawning next day lol. Only now, nitrates are registering at 5ppm.

Thats just my experience. I think my tank was nicely cycled by 2 weeks. Obviously, you can't just chuck all your fish in then because your tank is cycled. Its only cycled for the fish it has in it, so adding more means the bacteria needs to adjust, so you add fish gradually :)

Cycling the filter in an existing tank is a very good method I think, just couldn't do that with the filter that came with my big tank

Taking some media or a whole filter from an established tank seems to work fine. Remember you wont have a fully cycled tank, and still need to build up to a full population of bacteria, but at least you are part way there. You skip those worst first 2 weeks of the cycling, and the tank should be safe for some fish right away.

I keep a spare little internal filter that I just run in whatever tank needs some extra help. If I need to set up a new tank it can just go in with the first fish and will handle to filtering for a few fish untill the new tanks filtration starts working.

Or you could be like me and setup a tank, fill it with water, put a heater in and put the fish in. half my breeding tanks dont have filters, they just run on a heater and airstone, and i do water changes every day or two....

Yes that will actually work fine if you only have a few fish. The gravel, rocks, plants and glass will all host some bacteria, and the airstone will move enough water to create a 'filter' effect. Not as good as a proper filter because you dont have the same surface area and water flow, but fine for a couple of fish. The next step up is an undergavel filter which is able to draw more water through a bigger layer of gravel and make a better filter.

Cheers

Ian

Yes that will actually work fine if you only have a few fish. The gravel, rocks, plants and glass will all host some bacteria, and the airstone will move enough water to create a 'filter' effect.

Yea thats how it could work, but for example on one tank i just have two pots, and a heater in the tank... thats it :lol: No substrate, plants, etc