Nitrates Gone!

lduncan

hufa's are just a class of chemical, some may smell some may not, it depends on mostly how large the molecule is. I have not doubt that the zeovit system doesn't use either vodka or vinegar.

A patent search could quickly tell someone enough information about the system so they can copy it (assuming they can read German, or that a US patent has been granted). A patent really only gives the creator a legal foot to stand on when someone starts selling a rip off of the system.

Layton

zeofood is more than 5 diffrent organic acids that are linked together with iron to a relatively big Carbon molecuel. So only the heteretrophic bacterrias my grow on it. This is ablsolutly special in the world. People use it and run there aquariums with 0,0 mg Phospaht because the bacterias (heteretrophic ones) use the Phosphate and nitrate in there methabolism.

On the zeolit the bacteria finds a lot of Trace elements and other componds that is like a magnetic influence fix on the zeolit.

To much food for bacteria will increase there growing tremendously. Speciallly in fresh water tanks the oxygen will be reduce by the bacteria. Fish may have problems.

In salt water the pH will sink to much if you give to much zeofood

This was translated from a scientist in german that has been making his filtration for sometime. the company zeovit may have some sort of patent to sell the intructions but they are not the only company that makes the stuff.

it has been around for years , amazing what marketing does these day.

Have used zeovit and found that you have to do weekly water changes otherwise the tank gets to much nutrients. zeofood must have some trace elements and iron in it.

When I did not do weekly water changes I found algae starting to grow and my rocks were going dark.

Speaking to friends in Germany who use zeovit claim there is no benefit for low stocking tanks and soft corals, as rowaphos/salifert phosphate removes are more efficient in removing phosphates and nitrate is not a problem in low stocking tanks.

However zeovit might add a coating to acropora which may help produce the nice colours.

Lots of the nice acropora tanks on the net don’t use zeovit and still have fantastic colours so Personally I think a good skimmer/lighting and good water control will produce the same effect as zeovit or zeobiobak .

Best is to try and decide for yourselves if you get any benefit.

Also beware don’t overdose as the iron in zeovit will make algae grow very well so recommend using carbon and a phosphate remover.

Have used zeovit and found that you have to do weekly water changes

Zeovit instructions say to do weekly water changes.

recommend using carbon and a phosphate remover.

Zeovit instructions reccomend using carbon and phosphate remover.

So thats all cleared up and seems about right.

Reef - I think your right about the other tanks. Their are a many featured tanks with great colour in their stoney corals. They are often have a light fish load, heavy skimming, phosphate removal resins, CA reactors and run their ALK high 9-10 or more. And I think your right, Zeovit does a similar thing, creating a nutrient poor invironment for the corals to thrive. The problem is that we all have higher fish stocking levels to achieve this any other way, I have some nice coloured Acropora, but I also have some brown ones. None I own have gone brown, but many have remained brown.

Zeovit is interesting and I am keen to start it. Its not that expensive (less than $450 a year for a tank my size). And its sold as a 'system', proven to work (I have not seen ZEOVITNZs tank, but people I know have and said the coral colour was STUNNING, infact I know that 1 person NICKS after seeing the tank was so impressed he brought some Zeovit to get started straight away!).

Reef - I don't belive the Zeovit puts a coating on the coral, its just enhancing the colour that is already there. Same as the other tanks you mentioned.

One thing to remember with Zeovit is that it does take time, so saying that it can take up to 9 months for it to drag of the nutrients out of the water, rock and sand beds. There is also some speculation of Reefcentral that Zeovit may resolve 'old tank syndrome' as it leeches out the nutrients from the rock and sand, preventing them from every becomming supr saturated. Unconfirmed but does sound plausable.

Anyone using Zeovit out there? If so I for one would love to hear what you think.

Pieman

Would just like to say if you are not using the product zeovit please do not use this name. The original product has " Korrallen-zucht " written on the packaging. There seems to be alot of people claiming they have used " zeovit " and they havn't. They are using a copy product that has not had much success oversea's. I am worried this product is going to taint the good name "zeovit" has .

Please be weary of immitations.

I want to also clear up a point of using phosphate removers with zeovit. You do not use them at all. The zeovit system is a complete system.

If you had to use phosphate removers why use zeovit ? It seems pointless to me.

Also would like to know how zeovit leaves a coating of nice colour on the coral. Does it get out a minny spray can of paint ?

How do we know that zeovit is the original, zeovit might be the copy. Probably is.

Zeovit can claim that they did the instructions, that’s about it, there are other filter systems that have been out before zeovit which are very similar. Let’s see your everdance about the other zeovit stuff not working.

i am not using zeobiobak or any so called fake products other than have tried zeovit.

still waiting for the info that you had that says there are fake products around and that they have caused problems.

i doubt that you will find any as the statement was not based on fact.

Here's a thread on the use of vodka, you will have to get google to translate it.

http://www.riffaquaristik.ch/forum/thre ... 266fb12399

This one is personel communications with someone in germany:

Please do not do the mistake and use the Vodka for your tank. This method is

nothing news, it was practiced by some German reefers 10 years ago. Now some

special friends of me ;), Michael Mrutzek together with Jörg Kokott, who is

a biological student, posted a article testing the dosing in his private reef

tank. What they found out is that PO4 and NO3 levels go down because

bacteria in the tank can use the Vodka as food source. That is nothing other tank a

carbon source. I know his tank from pictures, what can I say, all the SPS

show no color before he used the Vodka. Now some weeks later some of his corals

show a little bit color, but in my opinion the show terrible coloration.

They posted the article in a German magazine in January 2004. There are no

long-term-tests this time. They make propaganda for this method for reefers

thye keep corals which need plankton to keep alive. With this combination it is

possible to add high loads of plankton (Cyclop Eeze) and nutrients to keep

these corals alive. That is the real cause for the method.

Thomas did also Vodka tests 4 years ago. He lost a lot of his corals. I also

know two other people they had a wonderful SPS tank. They also decided do to

some Vodka tests, what can I say, they also lost a lot of corals some weeks

after beginning. They lost tissue beginning form the tips. Now some other

people report that they have a lot of problems since the use Vodka.

Thats all for the vodka method, will post more on the immitation zeovit method later when i have time. :D

Regards

Brendan

• 2 weeks later...

Just and update. It's been over three weeks, and nitrates are still at 0, I have noticed a little bit of browning on one acro, but none of the others, so it's hard to tell whether it is related to the sugar or not. But so far I have been happy with the results.

Layton

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Denitration of water can be achieved using a carboniferous source that has organically bound carbon and by culturing a suitable bacteria . By choosing a small molecular weight compound all you ensure is that the compound is soluble. I know for a fact that denitration of this type can be achieved by use of xxxxxxxxxxx as a carbon source at significant rates. the choice of sugar is perhaps better than alcohol because of the impact and solubility (and utility) of alcohol and sugar in different types of body tissues. The bacteria will lyse the sugar/alcohol and extract the carbon they require and perform the required denitration.

Im am currently building a biological filter comprised of xxxxxxxxx to perform this duty. I am waiting for the tank to install it on to cycle and will begin testing this - but i know from a couple of engineering friends that it works well in fresh water. The flow rate is reasonably fast and doesnt require anoxic conditions or unusual respiration sources. It has not been tested for reduction of orthophosphate but i intend to do this.

i wrote this without the x's but then thought that if it works in salt as well as it does in fresh then i may be giving away a big secret.

the bacteria sugar alcohol set should work for removal of nitrate!