Lighting advice please anyone?

Nicolette

I am looking for a cheap way to light my tanks. Both are planted. no hoods just glass tops.

I have been looking at

http://www.lightingplus.co.nz/afawcs0114218/ID=3385/SID=233731673/productdetails.html

would or could that work? What else would I need to do to ready it for my tanks

I am willing to make my own if it turns out to be cheaper. I had thought of making one around 4ft long as they are horrendously expensive to buy.

Or if anyone has any other diy ideas or whatever please let me know..

on my 4ft tank i went to mitre 10 and go 2x twin tube 2ft lights for about $30 each ... i brought/was given 2ft aquarium lights (2x the pink plant ones, 1x brilliant daylight and 1x blue sky royal)

plants are growing wayyyy 2 fast and most of papakura can probably see my house glowing at night if there on

one thing i did have to do tho was wire up the 2 light units in parallel as they did not come with a plug ... but hey it was the cheapist way 2 do it with mine at the time

if u do decide to do sumthin like this, plan it carfully i.e orientation above the tank etc and make sure u have sumthin reflecting the light back down ... just gives it all that little bit more of a wow factor

build up a frame like mine would be the best lookn way

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/hi-all-just-introducing-my-4ft-tank-vt21821.html

the double 2 ft lights are just screwed up in side it,

the who thing sits on the sides of the tank just outside the glass lid ... if u want any better pics of it tell me and ill put them up

Here are some guttering ones that will sit on a sheet of glass

lightfittings.jpg

I don't know why wood was used on the ends as I would buy end caps and cut a gap for the cord to fit. Longer ones have a light at each end

Note the tinfoil used to reflect more light downwards