Suggestions for breeding at lower levels of tank

Caryl

My son and his partner have a standard 120L community tank and would like to breed something at the lower levels. They were looking at kribs but they can get a bit vicious.

They have angels spawning regularly on the filter uplift but would like to try something else. Not sure there is anything that won't get eaten by the other inhabitants though (angel pair. gourami, harlequins, geriatric neons, bristlenoses and small tetras from memory).

Any suggestions? I wondered about keyhole cichlids. All the livebearers tend to drop fry closer to the surface and they want a bit more action lower down the tank.

The bristlenoses have the best chance I reckon. Might take 6 months for them to mature enough, but providing they have some good caves and plenty of cover a lot of the young will make it in the community tank. Plecos aren't as aggressive when spawning as the cichlids, many cichlids will be able to rear young in the tank, but will beat up anything that comes near while they are doing it.

Most other fish just scatter eggs or fry to take their chances on their own, the cichlids and plecos actually make the effort to look after the eggs and young for a while.

Set up some clay pots for the plecs and see what happens ;) Of course the first sign that they have bred may be noticing that there are more of them :lol:

Cheers

Ian