Transferring fish

sub.z

I'm having the same headach right now lol, planning to get a bigger tank in a year to two years time but thinking about it right now!

I think this is what I would do, hope it gives you some ideas as well.

I have a 135L tank and a 60 litre backup tank.

1. Do a water change just before transferring.

2. Fill up the back up 60L tank with water from my current tank, transfer all the fish temporarily into the backup tank.

3. Put the remaining water into the new tank, put the old tank away somewhere, setup the new tank with a new bigger filter as well as the old filter, this will speed up the cycle, also top up the water with new water in the big tank.

4. After cycling the new tank put the fish in a few at a time.

There are probably better ways this is just my current idea on how to do it, will be different when I actually come to doing it and getting more advice on how to make the whole process quicker.

Im transferring my fish from a smaller tank to a larger tank. Once it has been cycled is it best to transfer one at a time over a period of time?

Even though your new tank is 'cycled' it will only have a bacteria population that matches the fish that are in there now. Suddenly putting in 5 times that amount of fish might cause an ammonia problem if the bacteria dont multiply fast enough to keep up. Of course it depends how many fish you are talking about, a full population in the smaller tank might only 1/2 fill the big tank, so it could just be considered one stage of stocking the big tank.

If you do move all the fish, you could bring the working filter from the small tank with them and run both filters in the big tank for a couple of weeks.

If in doubt, transfer the fish in stages over a couple of weeks, it will be safer.

Cheers

Ian

when i move goldfish i just fill the tank with water from the garden hose wait about 20mins then start putting the fish in.

Because i think about all the crap that goes in the pond from outside.

don't use the old water or filter the only thing i use from the old tank or pond if fish lol

i have been doing this for over 3 years now and they are all fine :D

Goldfish are very hardy fish

You guys are good!

Ive got about 10 fish to move and they are pretty hardy

For finer details im moving them from smaller tank with a fluval 204 to a 5 foot tank with a 404. I dont think i can transfer the other filter because theres not enough room to have both running

Will you be leaving any fish in your old tank?

If not wouldn't it be ok, assuming the media the 2 filters is the same or similar, to take the media from the old filter and put it in the new filter? If you transfer all the media then should there not be just enough bacteria for exactly that fish load?

(I only have 1 tank so this is as much a question as an idea!)

I'll be transferring some fish from an aqua one ar380 to a 620 and it's what I was planning on doing. moving the sponge and noodles from the old tank to the new tank and when I'm ready to put something else to my smaller tank I'll steal some back.

I was jut re-reading this and realized something - I assumed you meant a new tank that currently doesn't have any fish in it where as I think others might be assuming a bigger already populated tank?

hi i have just upgraded to a bigger tank and had the same problem all i did was use the old filter medium and placed it on top of the new ones under the spray bar for a month and used all the water from the old tank. It has been approx 2 weeks and they are doing fine