Is this what i have?? Pictus or not?

aquab

It would help if you could take a pick of your one then we can tell you for sure!

The one in the pic is a sydontus (mind the spelling) but a pictus cat looks very similar.

To help a bit more:

A pictus has long straight whiskers and a sydontus has whiskers like a tree branch.

ooh and if you brave enough you can handle the fish and see if the whiskers slice you or not :D (only kidding - dont do that it hurts)

hmm from what ive seen pet stores usually charge more for pictus than synodontis i got mine for $50 each :o this is a pic of a pictus they basically all look the same cept for some geopgraphical differences affecting their spots layout, theyve got sharp spines on pectoral and dorsal fins which can hurt too as Jammos said :P

its really up to your judgement or if you could put up a pic that'd help i.d it even more, if it turns out to be a syno u should ask your pet store about it in case they over charged you, hope that helps :)

pictus-lg.jpg

Ok cool, pictus have a shiny metal looking skin with the black spots on it, the pectoral and dorsal fins have the spines which look like a white plastic bone on the leading edge and yea about 6 whiskers differing in length, pictus can differ in behaviour some people find theyre one of the most active fish in their tanks other that theyre a bit reclusive i got two as they can be more comfortable in groups but after one died from CO2 poisoning the other became quite active swimming up and down the sides of the tank still likes to sit in his own corner most of the time :P

they can be predatory as well if hungry mine ended up eating 21 neons :P and then took a bite out of a female blue ram usually i only find this if they go without food for a night or so, but theyre cool fish to watch and i find them to be quite the individuals

Thanks and glad to know that i got what i paid for!! :bounce:

Yeah my guy (how do you tell?) goes crazy sometimes and races around the tank like mad!!

:roll:

He's claimed the tunnel as his and the poor hoplo's have to hide under the javafern on the wood!!

:D

lol the port hoplos are tough theyll be fine :P

females possibly larger and thicker in shape; sexing pictus doesnt really matter that much since they've never been bred in captivity as far as i know cept maybe in germany they get up to some crazy stuff :L

• 2 weeks later...