CONVERTING FIRE EXTINGUISHER-HOW???

gills

How do I go about converting an fire extinguisher bottle for a co2 system and how much does it cost approx, does any one know.

Your knowledge and input would be much appreciated. I'm looking into this as the 5kg cylinders are too tall for the cabinet, and the lady of the house won't want an ugly cylinder on show.

I had one done, it cost about $150 all up (filled) from memory, you need to get it done professionally otherwise it wont be certified and you wont be able to get it filled. If you can get a steel one, they last longer and are more likely to pass the cert, but are harder to find. The ali ones crack around the neck. But in saying that mine is ali.

Most of the cost is the valve, the cert was about $30 and about $25 to fill. I got mine from a metal recycler, he was only interested in the metal value so agreed to swap cylinders until I got one that passed

The have 3.5kg retested c02 tanks with regulator for $220.

With an actual regulator or do you mean a tap?

I get my bottles from the local cylinder testing station. They convert 3.5kg bottles with a brand new tap and do a test, cert and fill all for $250. I think the new 5kg bottles are around the $400 mark so it's a good deal. The ex fire extinguishers can be ugly but a quick coat of silver spray paint fixes that. Don't paint it any other colour or they won't be allowed to touch it.

So yeah, check your local cylinder service station. You may have more than one available and some are much more expensive than others. I once paid $200 for a 1.8kg conversion from the nearest service station as an example. I now use another - a bit farther but worth the drive.

I've been to BOC and they won't fill private bottles. I've been intouch with ASCO in Hornby (CHCH) and they sell 5kg cylinders for $350 and a firm called Weldwell sell them for around $430(trade).But these cylinders are 660mm high which is too high for my cabinet. I understood all cylinders (LPG atleast) went to BOC for testing, here in CHCH anyway.

I truly doubt a city as large as Christchurch would rely on BOC for all cylinder tests. A quick look in the yellowpages brings up Canterbury Cylinder Testing, have you rung them yet?

The 3.5kg cylinders are about 50cm tall incl tap. I have an all-in-one regulator/solenoid/needle valve/bubble counter and it measures in at about 55cm total, and that's mostly the bubble counter so you can get away with 52cm if you use a pill bottle style or external glass bubble counter instead.

No I haven't,But I did the yellow page check straight after I posted and found four, two of which included co2 cylinders and fire extinguishers.WAAHOOO!!! Didn't have time to ring tonight but I will tomorrow. Infact I'll be in the area of Canterbury Cylinder Testing Tomorrow. Will let you all know how I get on.

CHEERS :D:hail::hail:

Hi everyone,called into Canterbury Cylinder Testing and my search for a cylinder is over.They do convert old extinguishers.They do three sizes and the 3.5kg ones are $220 so i've ordered one(hope i've saved the money by the time its ready LOL) Better than renting from BOC($120 a year for $15 of co2) and paying $350-$430 to ASCO orWeldwell for one thats too big.From what the guy said they do this quite often and they fill them too. :D

One more question... do I really have to have a solenoid or can I just turn the cylinder valve off at night? Could I leave it on and have a timer on my air pump? :-?

Hi There,

i brought me solanoid from ASCO in christchurch a few years ago. Was quite cheap and they fitted it to my tank.

I have a 600 mm hi tank which has lasted absolutely ages.

You need to be resonably sure that you dont need to run a secondry valve to reduce high pressure CO2 to low pressuere tho as this can help prolong life of cylinder etc.

anyway solanoid is well worth the money as it does help prevent you giving your fish teh bends if you overdo the CO2.

HTH

Navarre