Soft Coral Reef Tank

markoshark

80cm long x 35cm wide x 50cm high

140L?

Looking for "interesting" soft corals, clams, and anenomies.

Also what kind of fish?

Couple of clowns, cleaner shrimp, and a seahorse?

Equipment, bearing in mind that I won't be able to run a sump on it?

Reef Octopus HOB Skimmer?

Ideas please :)

Also, if you can, photos :D

SPENDING:

Tank + Sumps $200

Berlin Skimmer $150

Return Pump $30

Live Rock $150

2x Bristlestarfish $40

Lighting $200

Salt Mixing Pump $10

Heater $0.00

Stand $0.00

Plumbing $50

Test Kits + Salt $25

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beware the tank invading Anemone!

I have a BTA, which takes up about half of our 105l tank, mainly because it has set it self up RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE and stings anything around it. Whilst it started off as a cute little Bubble Tip, it has evolved into a long tentacle'd monster, and I can't put anything near it, plus my maroon clown has chucked anything that I put near it down the back of the tank. This includes Mushys stuck down with toothpicks and superglue.

Clams need good light at 10,000k colour temperature to do well.

Clowns and seahorses will be a problem together, youll find it very difficult to feed the seahorses because the clowns will eat everything before they get a chance.

Clams and Anenemies needs as good water quality/parameters and light as hard corals. If you are planning a softy only tank because you like them thats all good and well, but don't think you will be able to get away with less light, flow, calcium, etc etc.

Anenomies are as difficult (and more so in some cases) as hard corals and clams have large calcium requirements for growing their shells.

I just don't like hard corals as much though, hence soft tank.

How many MH lights & bulbs would I require for this?

1? 2?

Or, would 2x double bulb T5s be enough?

And I think i'll change the tank depth to 60cm.

I could possibly have a sump, but it would be bloody tiny, and it would be virtually inaccessable :(

Check out my tank if you want. http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/the-home-straight-anyone-interested-in-my-first-aquarium-vt22127.html

From what I can see you are pretty much setting up the same tank as me, but I may be month or so ahead of you if that.

As someone who has been setting up my tank for 3 months - actually more, one thing I would recommend is getting your cycle started and working out the details later.

This may push some buttons, but a cylce can take 3 months to carry out which is pretty rugged. In hindsight a great way to do it would be get some rock, make up some water, whack it in a $10 plastic bin and put it in the garage with a powerhead circulating the water a bit.

Then you can work on getting your other equipment and such, while keeping an eye on your plastic bin's levels and all.

• 2 weeks later...
a protein skimmer required on a soft coral only tank - no fish?

Protein skimmer is not required for any tank; however you will miss out on all the benefits that a protein skimmer will offer like.

Oxygenates the water

Removes many organics form the water

Corals shed a lot of waste so a skimmer would be very beneficial.

Most tanks use a protein skimmer so there must a very good reason to have one.

Guest Anonymous

For a 60cm Deep tank you should be looking at 250W MHs.

1 with a good reflector should be sufficient, and add 2 T5s and that should be a sufficient lighting setup.

I am with Reef, a protein skimmer is a MUST as far as I am concerned on any salt water tank regardless of bio load.

The sump is a good idea even if it's not going to be accessible. throw in a protein skimmer, some Live rock, small sand bed and return flow between your tank. This will act as a refugium providing pods and other small foods into your tank. The Live Rock will also act as a biological filter.

Thats my 2c. :)

you don't need 250Watters on a 60 deep. I have 2x150's on my 55gallon tank and all my SPS are doing great in the top half of the tank. LPS and Softies generally don't need the bright lights SPS need. Skimmer would make your life easier

• 2 weeks later...

Have collected Substrate, and 7kg of Rocks

On Order: 1x 915x350x550 (LWH) tank with no bracing and 30mm anti-splashguard around the top, and I have worked out how to put in a sump -

SumpDesign.jpg

Dual sump setup, 400x250x400 LWH, joined with 50mm piping.

I think I've sorted a Berlin Classic skimmer, which should be fine :) (I hope!), And i've got more rock and lights on hold.

All things going well, might have water in the tank on my birthday!

(I ditched the idea of having the tank on my chest of drawers, i'll be putting my alarm clock there, and having a nano coldwater near my bed with rockpool critters.

If it is not to late, I would go with a wider tank that was not to deep. Makes aquascaping the whole thing a lot easier. You will find 350 very narrow once you put the rocks in. 915 x 450 x 450 would be a much more usable size.

It will make the tank cheaper to as the glass they use could be 6mm.

• 2 weeks later...