Axolotl babies. Photos

Dixon1990

i Haven't had much luck raising axolotls in the past, but i hav now got about 40-50 hatched at about 1cm and some still in there eggs. I havent got time and space to hatch brineshrimp and our mossie larvae got wiped out by the frost, So is there anything else i can feed them?I have got axolotl tucker and frozen brineshrimp could any of these be fed to them?

Heres some photo's:

PIC_0210.jpg

PIC_0211.jpg

awesome!!! so cute, we used to breed axies when i was a kid, i think we just used bbs until they grew... google is not helping me help you... i would call a clever pet store or someone that raises them, might be quicker than waiting for replies

with out huge quantites of live food you are pretty much wasting your time.I bred a swag years back and had good survival rates using daphnia,lucky for me had a really good farmers dam nearby that was chocker with them,got them going on those and then also at the time had a massive white worm culture and as they got bigger changed them onto these which would stay alive for long enough and wiggle on the bare tank bottoms.Thinned them out to seven tanks with 50 in each and started to runout of worms.......was abit of carnage for a while as I tried to change them onto finely chopped oxheart etc,by the time they realised it was food there was hardly any left with 4 legs!!They did grow back and some survived but the losses were huge,I wish you luck you will need it!

go out country and find some more?farm troughs,dams etc?even one of our local ponds in a park often has good numbers of daphnia,we get a brackish water shrimp here in huge numbers that would be good but not much help to you.Micro worms maybe ok to start them on?not much help once they get going if you have nothing else further down the track though?

You could try microworms, but mine never really took to them, it was mainly the live bbs, mosquito larvae, daphnia and live bloodworm (which I found in one of my mozzie buckets, in the sludgey (decaying leaf) bit at the bottom. Do you have a compost heap, if you do might be able to use baby earthworms (look for little olive coloured eggs and you'll pretty much have a few baby worms round them, if you do). Also, I've hatched my brineshrimp in a small 10litre tank, and large glass coffee jars and they've hatched within 24-48 hours. I just siphoned them out using a turkey baster and squirted them into a mans white hanky (as I don't have a brineshrimp net) then rinsed and fed them.

Axolotl larvae will not eat dead food until they start developing their back legs.

Basically you have to have livefood, otherwise you'll notice your larvae dying from hunger and attempting to nibble on their siblings.

So, if you can't find any you should order some online (ie TM), daphnia, bloodworm and the mozzie larvae (if they were alive) are great as they don't foul the tank/containers. Whereas, microworms and bbs, you have to clean up any uneaten food daily to avoid fouling their tank/s, which could result in deaths if you don't.

i have successfully hatched some BBS. And feed some to the baby axies. But there water is real murky because of all the foods i have been trying to feed them. Can i do a water change? I have read in alot of pleaces that the bay axies dont like water changes to much.

i have successfully hatched some BBS. And feed some to the baby axies. But there water is real murky because of all the foods i have been trying to feed them. Can i do a water change? I have read in alot of pleaces that the bay axies dont like water changes to much.

Yes you have to do daily waterchanges and use a turkey baster to clean up any (if seen) uneaten food. Are you keeping them in a filtered tank or small containers/tank or tub?

I did daily waterchanges, sometimes twice daily if I overfed on the brineshrimp and micros, which were a bit harder to see.

Don't forget they also poo! So if you see what look like orange spots, its poo and needs to be cleaned out.

Turkey basters are excellent cleaning tools for axolotl poo, regurgitated food and other waste.

Remember dirty water leads to death in young larvae! Don't know where you read that but obviously not the axolotl site!

check out: www.axolotl.org/rearing.htm

if you're unsure.

You can try microworms, I just could never see mine eating them whereas at least with brineshrimp, daphnia, mozzie larvae, live bloodworm you can see it wriggling in their heads/bodies!

Alan how big are the white worms? They could probably be fed when they get a little bit bigger. Pity I didn't have a source at the time.