Good deal?

Rozski

I am sorely sorely tempted. The pet store here has had a deal running on a 65L Aqua One tank for the last few weeks, and it goes until the end of the month.

For $235 you get a 65L tank (one of those ones with plastic silver corners and black back), a stand, a light (that clips on the top) a 100W Aqua one heater, a budget Aqua One HOB filter, some random tropical chemicals (Didn't look too close, maybe chlorine remover?) and a crappy ornament.

Just checking, is that a good deal? I mainly like the nice shiny new tank and the fact it has a stand with it! plus I like those lights that clip on the tanks.

I currently have a 35litre tropical tank, small size mainly due to the fact I have to be able to bring it home in the uni holidays (also whats holding me back getting this one...)

So do I get it and deal with the consequences in the holidays (either bringing it home, or selling the fish for my last year of uni (very busy) and starting it up again after uni) or...or..... *head explodes* Yeah, I wish I was just a simple impulse buyer sometimes :oops:

Opinions anyone? much appreciated... :-?

plus stand though? My wee tank here has already cost me upwards of $200 when you factor $50 for the tank, $60 for the light, $40 for the heater, $45 for the filter... I got the filter off trademe, but the light and tank I know could have come cheaper. Also got a good heater, hence the cost.

When you include a matching stand and all it's probably not a BAD deal.

But I'm with GZ, thats about my budget for setting up my 4ft 240l tank. Of course I have to build my own stand and hood and will have to wire in my own lights :-? Keep an eye on Trademe, you might pick up a setup like that for $100. At least you know what they are worth new, so you can avoid getting ripped off ;)

Cheers

Ian

Yeah, second hand can be so much cheaper, but nothing good ever seems to come up in the Manawatu (seriously, check the local manawatu listings on trademe) haven't seen anything good local whenever I've checked

Plus it must get cheaper per litre setting up a larger tank vs a smaller tank I'm sure. You get more value for money spending on a large than a small. Can't quite go that big yet though :cry: and wow cichlid, wicked deal

And yeah, I realise its not exactly the bargain of the year (that award went to my $1 washing machine haha) but for that size tank, with a stand and new, I can't find much beter :-?

Watch me seesaw between "I wanna go for it" and "lets wait for a few years" ....

and yup Wilson, those are the ones. Tell me something useful so I can make a decision either way please! :lol:

mmmm....guess I might be waiting then.... Definitely getting a bigger tank one day, this was just going to be for the meantime :wink:

you would have a hard time selling the smaller tank for what you payed for it, so i suggest waiting and saving your money for now

Hi All

If you have a hobby you shouldn't worry about the cost. :oops:

If I had been worried about the cost I would have stopped before I started, and "might have" saved many thousands of dollars over the years.

But I enjoy the hobby and to hell with the expense. :wink:

Throw the cat another canary. :hail:

:bow:

Yeah I have kinda done that too, said "to hell with the cost". I don't know how you people are setting up big big tanks so cheap (unless you already have a lot of the gear? I don't because I am only a beginner)

Had another squiz at that setup, and its cheap and tacky anyway.

BUT I am still going to set myself up another tank, maybe 70 odd litres :D Will be spending more than that other setup, but meh, it will be nice stuff. I don't know how you all started out, but I am just going with working my way upwards in size :wink:

The bf has also said he'd build me a stand for it. The joys of having an engineer as a bf :lol:

I don't know how you people are setting up big big tanks so cheap

Lets see... 1200x450x450 bare tank.. about $150. You may have to shop around to get that price, but they can be had cheaper, especially 2nd hand. Bigger tanks than this need heavier glass and the price goes up fast.

Heater, big AquaOne internal filter (1000l hr), small air pump, couple of aircurtains. Another $100.

Stand.. home made. Depends on your woodworking skills and what you have in the shed. Plywood, MDF, 4x2s, concrete blocks. Get your Mum to sew up a nice curtain to hide it if it's too ugly ;)

Lights. Depends if you are growing live plants or not. If not, a couple of compact flouros in a home built fitting. cost $10. Otherwise $100 for a decent light.

Rocks/gravel/driftwood. Go and fossick around the local river/beach/landscape centre, wash everything well and it will be OK.

Now that wont be a flash setup, better filtering would let you keep more fish, better lights will grow plants better, a flash rimu stand will look flasher, a 1200x600x600 will hold more fish. But it's a much better home for your fish than a 50L fancy all-in-one that you spent the same $$ on.

Cheers

Ian

It was more Hans $250 job that had me wondering how it was done so cheap :wink:

And yes, am wanting good lighting. Bf will be building stand. You didn't put heaters into that addup :wink:

But yeah, I realised it wasn't that great, hence me doing it myself and having fun researching all the technicalities, prices etc :D

Thanks though!

You didn't put heaters into that addup

Heater, big AquaOne internal filter (1000l hr), small air pump, couple of aircurtains. Another $100.

The $100 should get you a heater, basic filter and some extra aeration.

You may want to upgrade stuff later, but the basic kit will get you up and running :)

I make it $350 if you want decent lighting / $250 for bare bones setup ;)

Cheers

Ian

i havent read the whole thread but thought id say that i scored a 1200 x 400 x 500 tank in 10mm glass for $25. all it needed was a clean 8)

Then i got heater (brand new stainless steel 300W) for $55ish

a 1200lph external filter brand new for $140

And scored the light for free (needed fixin which i did myself, was easy as)

Plus about $14 for two light tubes

Theres a cheap tank setup just like that...........

oops, missed that ianab :oops: Dunno how you get it all that cheap unless you sit and wait a couple of months for second hands, which yes, I could do. Frustrating though, I get all eager and want to start doing stuff, not wait for the next second hand one to come around :lol:

Sweet deal on the tank evil 8)

like awful knawful (lol) said

if you wait and are prepared to let a lot of people know what you want you can get some good deals, local trade magazines and free papers are another option

new means you have a guarantee on the equipment

good luck

Breaking it down a bit more...

Prices are buy now on Trademe tonight

$30 - 200w Aqua One heater

$38 - 1200l/h Aqua One internal filter

$12 - Basic Air pump

$20 left for postage / air hose / bubble wall.

The tank is the biggest cost, so if you can get it 2nd hand you can save big there :)

Cheers

Ian

ewww internal filters! lol. I was going to go for a canister filter, hence the higher cost.

I like natural tanks, with as little plumbing seen inside as possible :wink:

And planning on getting one of those Aqua one heaters. Had my eye on a stainless steel one (have a 50W stainless steel one at the moment and love it), but the guy still wanted $45 for it...