August 11, 200719 yr comment_177366 I had to take them out of the tank. I just planted it up 10 days ago so while there is a decent number of plants they're all very small and sparse yet (but growing nonetheless) They spent the night in a maggi plastic stock container. I'll transfer them to an ice cream container. I think that should be big enough! I may buy a net breeder trap but I've dose my tank with a bit of wunder cure this morning cause the new fish are flashing (Grrr!) and I don't think the fry would appreciate that. I may put them back in when that's done. Report
August 11, 200719 yr comment_177370 They will eat little bits of crushed flake - I think, as they get nothing else on my place, except the odd daphnia - I am sure they will survive in a heavily planted tank, lots of stuff there for them to hunt down and eat. Report
August 11, 200719 yr comment_177377 ok. Crushed flake it is. Thanks. Do you know many fry would a female would typically drop out of curiosity? Report
August 11, 200719 yr comment_177379 wow thats good news jn i never found any fry in my tank maybe it was to small and the wcmm found them before i did :oops: Report
August 11, 200719 yr Author comment_177394 i had mine in a icecream container and also had guppy fry in another container and i found they didnt grow very fast without filtration.Evenwith water changes every night. Report
August 11, 200719 yr comment_177419 Do you know many fry would a female would typically drop out of curiosity? I wouldn't have any idea, as I never saw them do it. However they seem to be quite slow in reproduction so I guess not more than 20, maybe even much less than that. Probably also depends how much food they get and if they like the food. They seem to do better on live foods so they can pick and choose when and how much. This time of year I only have daphnia for them and the odd moskito larvae, so its a bit boring I guess. So they get flakes in addition. Report
August 11, 200719 yr comment_177423 It is good news! :bounce: I was pleased to find them. I though one of the leopards was looking rounder than the others so they were obviously happy in your tank!! I found them yesterday although I was pretty sure I'd spotted 1 of them 2 days ago but then couldn't find it and assumed I was seeing things! I'll do my best with them and hopefully we can get a decent population of them down here. They're neat fish and I'm enjoying them so thanks Report
August 15, 200719 yr comment_178128 Lost one.. the other looked like a goner too (lying on its side looking lifeless!!). The water was VERY cold so I topped it up with warm water and the surviving one perked up and went back to normal! I'll have to find a way to keep it warm overnight if this cold weather keeps up! (Maybe in a carboard box with a H/W bottle?) Maybe it was the cold that got to yours too Dixon? Report
August 15, 200719 yr comment_178173 Maybe the fry are a bit sensitive to big temp. fluctuations (but maybe they aren't truly coldwater!!). It would have been quite warm yesterday evening with the fire going.. then cooled off dramitically overnight. Could be water quality I suppose.. although I did a water change yesterday morning and with 2 fry in a 1L container you wouldn't think it would go that badly!? Report
August 16, 200719 yr Author comment_178286 Im in the process in moving them to a bigger tank atm and found 7 more fry. Report
August 16, 200719 yr comment_178339 Busy fish then huh I lost my other fry yesterday. I'm officially fryless now. I'll just have to wait for the next batch. I reckon a couple of the females are getting rounder. Report
August 17, 200719 yr Author comment_178364 Just after i wrote that last night i found 3 more fry in the old tank that only had 1inch of water. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.