Found 5 Leopardfish fry.

Dixon1990

Ohhh.. where's a non bouncing green smiley to show EXTREME JEALOUSY!!!!!

Well done both of you :) I will definitely be begging for some of your fry in the nearish future! (I've been promised a new tank but it's tied to some conditions which I haven't met yet!! :-? )

Dixon, over the summer I had goldfish fry that I plonked into a plastic tub (like from the warehouse or payless plastics) I put plants in it and kept it in a sunny spot. It got some algae which the fry just ate anyway!

My fry were fine with no filter I guess because of the plants. I used an airhose to clean any gunk from the bottom. Also with the water being cold this time of year it will hold plenty of oxygen so I bet they wouldn't need an airpump either. Once they get bigger you could probably put them back into the tank?

I am pretty sure the minnows would hunt them down and eat them, as they do with their own fry if they can get at them.

Would keep the little Leopards in plastic tub until they get bigger. I have bought myself several of those small plastic tanks from the payless plastic shops for these purposes when there is no tank available.

Carla, Do you know if the leopard fish would eat their own fry?

Yes they do, same as guppies. Meaning they do not really hunt them down, like the minnows do, they are real hunters, but will make a little effort and if they catch it fine, if not they won't really pursue them.

However as all adults will dart at them a fair share will be eaten, same as with guppies.

So if you have lots of plants you will always have some fry survive, however if you want to increase the numbers quickly it pays to catch them as you see them floating around and raise them in another tank until they are big enough not to make a meal anymore.

They do not have so many babies compared to guppies or platies and also seem not to have babies as often, maybe because they are kept colder. So all in all their multiplying factor is relatively slow compared with other livebearers.

Ah - you must be feeding them extra well then :)

In fact I have found on some websites (when I did a bit of quick research into the fish - after we bought them of course) that Leopardfish will eat ALL their young. This is definitely not the case as I have observed.

But they are not partial to a quick snack if they can get it.

However the minnows which I had indoors for a while so I could see better what they actually do all day were real hunters. They would creep up and then dart onto the babies. In fact onto anything that moved. I guess where they come from they have to be opportunistic or die.

• 1 month later...