pond questions

Amy

Hello,

I'm very new to proper fish keeping and have realised that my two comets would be better off in a pond. What is the minimum size it should be? I'm talking width/depth/length more than litres, but size in litres would be helpful too! I've been reading through other threads and saw that it is possible to use natural filtration methods depending on your plant choice, but just to make sure - is this correct?

I also have three white clouds. There were more but the comets ate some so they got moved to a new tank. In a pond is it possible for them to live together since there will be more room to swim away from/hide from the comets?

Thanks,

-Amy

Welcome Amy

Ponds can get quite expensive depending on what size you want.

I use Bathtubs instead of a purpose made pond. works for me and I do have WCMM in with them.. only a few though.

Yes plants definietly help with filtration.

To pretty up a bathtub you can get keystone blocks to put around the bathtub to make it look like a pond.

Caryl is our resident Pond Expert so she will also give you some pointers

:o resident expert???? :lol:

Like tanks, the bigger the better. Check your council bylaws as to depth as many have laws stating anything deeper than 45cm requires fencing.

Comets like to swim and can swim fast so a long pond would be preferable to something round. If you have lots of plants filtration isn't necessary but it does help. I suggest 1.5m minimum length but assume you will want to add more goldfish at a later date so if you can go bigger then do so.

You could add the white clouds to the pond but chances are the comets would find them and eat them. Besides, they are very hard to see in a pond so I would leave them in a tank and let the comets have the pond.

What do you want the pond made from? You can buy preformed ponds, use water troughs or dig a hole for a liner or make a concrete pond. All have their pros and cons.

Make sure pond is situated somewhere that gets shade with no overhanging trees to drop leaves in it, or have roots that will make their way through the pond over time.

Thanks for your replies.

Since these are my fish and I will be moving next year (am currently at my parents' house), most likely no more fish will be added, so 1.5m sounds good. I was tossing up between pond liner or a large container from somewhere like payless plastics if they're big enough. I notice though that a lot of containers/pre-formed ponds are black, does this heat the water up too much? Also while trawling through some of the threads people have mentioned their plain pond-liner ponds developing small holes and leaking, is this much of a problem? Thanks for the tip about fencing requirements too, I wouldn't have thought about that! I thought about a bathtub, but don't think my parents would appreciate having a bathtub on their back lawn, no matter how nicely decorated it would be.

The black does heat the water up so you have to be careful where you site it.

Be careful of the containers from Payless Plastics. They are good for short term but not designed for outdoor use. They will go brittle in the sun after a couple of years.

Pond liners do not generally get holes in them unless you have cats digging claws in or you drop sharp stones into the pond.

If your fish have been indoors, it might pay to wait till spring to put them outside... unless you find a way to acclimatise them over several weeks to cooler temps. You wouldn't want them getting sick from never having had to cope with the cold before.

Save the digging!!!!

For several reasons.

One is when you wish to drain it, it is all hard yakker.

When you want to service it, it is all bend over.

I put several baths into the ground here so I know ewhere I'm coming from.

The last bath I did, I built a cradle and used polystyrene for insulation and used corrugated iron for the outer skin.

Looks ok, and if you want to move, you don't have to find fill to fill in those holes left by the in-ground baths.

I half sunk my bathtub and then used keystone blocks to surround it.

Wife doesn't mind it now :lol:

I however did dig a little more under the tub so I can pull the plug and drain the water if necessary.