Olivers Tank in progress :D

Oliver

ok so ill start of with showing you guys the skimmer me and dad have made...

fishstuff228.jpg

(this pic was taken while i was testing the tank for leaks with fresh water)

fishstuff229.jpg

(this was too)

fishstuff094-1.jpg

(this one was when me and dad had brought the peices for the skimmer but had'nt put them together)

I made a cool watter pump to circulate the watter with some help from my dad...

fishstuff208.jpg

(I put lots of holes in the top so that water would come into the bucket and then the pump pump's it through a tube back into the tank)

fishstuff229.jpg

(you can see it in the tank here)

The pump in the bucket is a Rio Hyperflow 17HF

Ill get dad to post the details later.

It uses a small pump in the sump to circulate water up through the hundred diameter tube and then back down to the sump. The small tube takes the water back to te sump, it slides up and down to controll the water level in the large tube.

At the bottom of the large tube are three large air stones which fill the column with bubbles.

The foam trap at the top is off a cheap $30 skimmer.

Dad still has to get the compresser going so we havent tried it yet.

hey oliver where did you get the aquamedic 10k bulbs from? i have one and it cost me a fortune! How is that skimmer doing? what pump have you got running it, you would need a big pump because of the height of it... you really need to get a background also. most people just use blue or black but it will hide all the pipes behind your tank!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Oliver looking good.

You have obviously done this "on the cheap" with home made skimmer etc and are to be congratulated on doing such a good job plus doing all the needed research.

As there is at this stage quite a bit of diatom/algae type growth, IMO anyway you should not add any more fish at this stage. How is the skimmer going? Taking out a good amount of skimmate?

The other thing that is important is using DI water for top off. Using tap water, even if filtered, is usually a loosing battle it is virtually impossible to keep the tank clean long term. A DI, or preferably RODI type filter should be regarded as the second most important piece of equipment after the skimmer.

Anyhow keep those pics coming it will be great to watch your corals developing! :D

The other thing that is important is using DI water for top off. Using tap water, even if filtered, is usually a loosing battle it is virtually impossible to keep the tank clean long term. A DI, or preferably RODI type filter should be regarded as the second most important piece of equipment after the skimmer.
i got an RODI just a couple of weeks ago :D