June 3, 200719 yr comment_165779 I have a tank 120cm x 45cm x 46 cm and know that Malawis should be slightly overstocked to help spread aggression. Problem is I don't know how much is too much. My partner said I probably can't fit many more fish in there, but when I look, I still see a lot of space. So how many fishies do you think I should go with with this size tank? Report
June 3, 200719 yr comment_165781 lol how many do you have in there? And what do you plan to do with it? If you stick heaps of fish in there they wont breed true or wont breed at all etc.. I have had alot of fish in a 4ft tank but that was only because my 5ft twice the size was damaged... Whats your current stocking list? Report
June 3, 200719 yr Author comment_165784 I don't really plan on breeding, and if I ever do, I have a smaller tank set up for it. I plan on going back into breeding my Siamese Fighters, but this tank is just for display and thus I got mainly males in it. So far I got: 9 x Aulonocara stuartgranti (Juveniles, plan on selling off whatever males aren't quite up to scratch when they start getting bossy). 5 x Blue Melanochromis 3 x Electric yellow (2 x juveniles) 5 x Melanochromis auratus (juveniles) 1 x Demasoni 1 x Giraffe Hap 1 x Pleco (which wasn't doing well at all in my Nana's 90cm tank. Approx...15 - 20cm?) 3 x GBA (Which kept on breeding in Nana's tank so she wanted to get rid of them. LOL) 1 x Snow White fish Most of them are still quite young I guess. I plan on getting a bigger tank when move into our own place in approx six months time. I'm doing weekly water changes approx 20% and have a Jebo cannister filter running, plus two heaters. Report
June 3, 200719 yr comment_165787 Id watch the auratus, some people have had success with them but ive found them too nasty and just gave up on them.. Id say if you got rid of them you could stick some more fish in maybe some nice red zebra's would add some orange to your tank for something different. Report
June 3, 200719 yr Author comment_165789 Oh really? I just picked them up yesterday. :lol: So, do you think tank is well stocked enough already? Report
June 3, 200719 yr comment_165790 Just keep an eye on them they can be nasty yours might be different but just from what ive seen and heard.. And personally I dont think they are very colourful anyway but each to their own. This is a general guideline I found think your tanks around 60gal at a guess haven't worked it out most 4fts are around 55gal. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/c ... er_55g.php I would probably stick around 20-30 in as young juvvies they would need to be thinned out as the grow up and you would obviously have to have hiding places and filtration to match.. Report
June 3, 200719 yr Author comment_165791 My fish all seem to be getting on fine. Haven't had any aggression issues yet -touch wood- There's PLENTY of hiding places. Yeah, not too colourful. I picked em up pretty much site unseen. I prefer the electric yellows. I'll see how they go as they grow. They're not too bad. Report
June 3, 200719 yr comment_165792 Yeah ive got a heap of yellows and demasoni in my tank in my display tank Plus all sorts of other random stuff.. Whatever i like at the time. Report
June 3, 200719 yr Author comment_165794 Hehe. Pretty much how it was for me, whatever I liked at the time. Though I picked up the Chilumbas at a fantastic price and might like to breed them later on...but got another tank set up for that I fell in love with the male these guys have. Report
June 3, 200719 yr comment_165795 Yeah Ken and Mark have some amazing fish Especially those Chilumba's I have a pair from the same parents that will end up in my display tank eventually too and hopefully be bred from too.. Report
June 3, 200719 yr Author comment_165796 Yup, lovely couple, very friendly people And some amazing setups And they live just down the road from me! Report
June 3, 200719 yr comment_165801 Yeah they used to live down the road from us too we spent a bit of time there and got quite a few fish off them really nice guys I sure miss Auckland sometimes! Report
June 3, 200719 yr comment_165804 We moved in December we used to live in Hobsonville, think we may have met you at some stage but unsure met alot of nice people up there. Report
June 3, 200719 yr comment_165805 HFF in Albany have a rather impressive corner Malawi tank setup front left corner as you walk in the door, RIGHT at the front of the shop Report
June 3, 200719 yr Author comment_165807 I haven't met many fish people really, but could be possible! LOL. I'm assuming you mean Hollywood? I've been there number of times and never noticed! Report
June 3, 200719 yr comment_165808 Yeah that display tank in the corner is quite nice seem to have a large number of big fish in there too.. I think its alot bigger than it seems though being a corner unit. Report
June 3, 200719 yr comment_165811 hi jasmine r u using the tank i swaped with u for ur setup an hows it ryan hows it goin down there Report
June 3, 200719 yr comment_165817 Yeah its going alright.. I just got back from 3 weeks in Aussie working. I only have 3 tanks now the big 5ft and a 3ft grow out and a cold water tank as well got sick of having so many tanks and with all the overseas trips ive got coming up its too much work for the wife lol Hows things with you guys going? Hows the new setup going? Report
June 3, 200719 yr Author comment_165826 Yes, smcoleman, thanks so much, it's going great I got a wooden cabinet for it from my nana for nothing and it fits on it PERFECTLY. Report
June 3, 200719 yr Author comment_165867 Yes, much appreciated my partner brought me everything else for it, cannister filter, light, heaters, aragonite etc, for a total of $300 as a present Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.