Co2 Kit

candy

Bf got me a co2 kit for my little planted tank.. we set it up last night (7.30ish pm). Its the one with the yeast,white suger and stabilser( what is this any one know?). in instructions it said you would be able to see the bubbles after 2- 10 hours of it being set up. its now 11.47 am and still no bubbles?

Any idears anyone?

only thing i can think of is that the tubing is long as its set up under the tank. but that should not be a problem say's instructions.

Don't know the answer to those Candy.

But I don't know why ppl just get back to the basics.

and save money.

Make your own beer.

Set up your brewing pot beside the fish tank or run a pipe and you get the best of both worlds, cheap beer while you appreciate the plants in the tank.

Pass the glass and jug please.

yes thats the one mel. have not seen bubbles yet but will keep looking. im nto to worried but bf is lol since he paid for it an all. will keep a look out.

Alan. that sounds like a fab idea exept i dont drink and i cant stand the smell of beer plus the tank is in my room so beer smelling room not so good and the bf would drink it all.

Im using a 1.5L coke bottle,

the recipe i use (along the lines of http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_co2.php ) is 1-2 cups of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of yeast and some warm water up to the top of the coke label so 2/3rds full and shake then leave.

Changing the ingredient ratios affects the co2 output and duration so more sugar/yeast can speed up output but shorten time etc

Also wasn't working properly without the check valve on air tubing had water pushing back down like a siphon, once i put that on works fine.

A check valve goes inline between the bottle and the tank to allow for only one-way flow in the airline.

Just a hint here. The standard check valves you buy at the local pet shop work using a rubber pressure valve. This rubber deteriorates with exposure to CO2 and will fail given enough time (from weeks to months). If you want to get a proper check valve look for one that has all plastic and metal innards. If they don't know if it's CO2 resistant, don't take the chance.

i have this system, had to add a valve to stop the water going back up the pipe.

Keep the bottle above the tank if you can.

mine took awhile for bubbles to come out continuously.

But if you shake the bottle up, the bubbles should come out...LOTS OF BUBBLES :D

also the lower down in the water you have it the harder it is for the bubbles to come out :D

and i think room temp affects them...If its hot the air expands and blows the bubbles out, but when it get cold and contracts it sucks water up the pipe, hence the need for a check valve.

To get it going faster you can:

keep it warmer

add more yeast

shake the nut out of it

Also the stabiliser will probably be baking soda. I add baking soda to my mixes as it extends their life considerably (stops it from going crazy acidic too quick).

Put the diffuser near a filter outlet too, make the most of your CO2 :) I used a little filter on a timer as my diffuser, got the plants pearling.

In the presence of air the yeast multiplies and only starts producing CO2 as the air is pushed out and the CO2 builds up. I am not familiar with these set ups but as the other Alan is no doubt aware you can encourage the yeast to start straight away by letting it sit with a little sugar and yeast nutrient (from the home brew shop) or marmite to get it fully active before you set it up. That way it has gone through the multiplying stage and is ready to work straight away. This info is from making beer and wine as I have never used these things. MY CO2 innoculation is from putting fish in the tank---that starts immediately.

Gark

well no bubbles as of yet . could not find the check valve and the bf said i was not alowed to shake the thing ( might do it while he is at work :) ). i think tonight i will bring it up from under the tank and put it on top maybe this will work. my room is realy warm so that should not be a prob. the defuser thingi is by my filter outlet yippi.

if it still sucks by tomrrow i might add a tad more yeast...

Im so impationt ( wow i realy cant spell today) so the probaly does not help :) i want pretty plants now!!!! :lol:

hi candy, i am using the same system as yours, mine took a while to start bubbling like 2-3days. after that its a constant rate until it ran out. works out pretty good for a 100L tank. its been more than 1 month now.. and going well. plants growing like crazy and i am looking somewhere to dispose my plants or a bigger tank..lol...

I shake mine a little when I first set it up so that the contents mix otherwise they just sit there till they start to break down. Also I would check that the lid is on properly as I have trouble putting it on as it crossthreads or doesn't seal properly. Did you use warm water when you first set it up?

Mel :)

still no bubbles.. i was naughty and gave it a bit of a shake.. one bubble came out...

Set it up with warm water... if it still sucks by tomrrow i think i will add some more yeast.. sealed all tightly so that should not be a issue...

cant wait for it to start working... im like a little kid with a new toy

If you want to do it yourself you could go to a home brew shop and get a wine yeast, yeast nutrient and invert sugar. You could then multiply the yeast and get it working away before you connect it. Wine yeasts are stronger and inverting the sugar is the first stage of fermentation so you have the jump on it. A heater will help as well. Or you can do what I do and throw in a couple of fish.

Congrats on the bubbles! Its great your system lasts a month. My DIY only lasts 2 weeks.

I use the krib recipe in a 2L soft drink bottle, just using edmonds yeast from the supermarket. It works well. Don't need a check valve as its above the tank. 6c warm water, 3/4 c sugar, 1/4 tsp yeast

Are you going to leave yours going 24hrs?