to cold?

K R Brown

just set up an 75l tank with build in hood came with fluval external canister

wana get 2 axalotls temp at 15 should i set heater to 18-20 ?

is 15 to cold i do want to put an small red spot pleco in sooner rather than later for algae control

any feedback apreciated

When you ask that question I'd say NO.

But that is because my idea of a coldwater fish, is one that will survive outside.

Read what I wrote about the temp inside your house and consider.

Is the house insulated?.

How is it heated?.

Is it kept heated all the time?

In other words you aren't away from the house for days when the heating isn't on.

Get your thermometer out of your tank and put it in the open air above the tank.

Check the temp at 7.00am and 7.00pm those are prolly your coldest and warmest that site will get.

Axolotls wont handle normal tropical temps, they are best around 16-18 deg. They will live OK between 10 - 22 deg though, so can live happily in an unheated indoor tank.

I guess you could set your tank temp 20-22 deg, thats near the top for the axolotyl and the lower temp range for some pleco speceies. But it's balancing a pretty fine line and chances are neither species would be very happy. I wouldn't keep them together.

Cheers

Ian

I have seen chinese algae eaters in the coldwater tanks at organism, so you could try on of them for keeping algae down.

Chinese algae eaters dont eat algae anywho ive found... others may have different opinions though

I am in no way an axy expert (i hate the things :D ) but i do know that on hot ish days when the temp gets too hot, they dont like it, and often end up floating on the surface. I have seen people put them into their fridges before in a small container just to keep them cool enough. Sharn has done it before, and im sure she'll pipe in (shes an axy nut)

Good luck with them

I had a Chinese algae-eater in a coldwater tank for ages with inanga, bullies and freshwater crayfish. He was fine. Now he's in a tropical tank though. The only things I've had troubles with him chasing were black ghost knifefish and a horseface loach. Everything else he's been in with he totally ignores. But, yes, they do have a reputation for being aggressive...

• 1 year later...