I think one of my female Melanochromis is holding eggs

Jasmine

She seems a little full around the jaw and it doesn't seem as if her mouth is opening properly. What do I need to do? I put food out and she didn't seem to eat, so I'm picking it's fairly positive. Is there any special needs for her?

Thanks for that. I'll keep an eye on her. I saw her being chased briefly once by the male, but otherwise she seems fine.

All my Malawis seem to be quite mellow. I was always expecting some aggression but they seem to be quite good to each other.

I usually take my females out and put them in their own nursery tank, nothing too big, I have small AR 320s (Aqua Ones) with a few limestone rocks and corner filter running. I don't like the idea of females stressing while holding a brood. In some cases they can find a quiet spot amongst the rocks yet in some other cases at times they can't if there is too much going on in the tank. I will strip a female if she is holding for too long, yet most of my females after being put in their own little nursery spit in good time. Just keep a close eye on her :D

I've got another little tank set up and has been running for quite some time now. Do you think it would be a better idea? If so, would she be ok to be netted. I am a lil worried, especially since I've got work and can't really keep too much an eye on her.

My females have always been good netting them while they are holding. I make the progress quick and make sure she is in a good area of the tank before attempting to catch her, saves on the stress factor.

I think you would be best going with how you feel :D I much prefer seperating my females. If you are not there alot it might be better to seperate her to give you peace of mind :)

Okay, she seems to be hanging out at the top of the tank in between the heater and the outlet, so I might just do that. Probably there's less activity there.

EDIT: Gave up on that idea. She's too quick and I don't want stress her out.

:lol: May pay to leave her a while, I have noticed with my females, that the more advanced into their holding they tend to end up rather a bit slower and easier to catch. Just leave her for now and keep an eye.. if she is hard to catch at this stage then yep you don't want to stress her out :D

Yep, holding females can be surprisingly quick. Thats is why I have a few nets, 1 of which is 15inch wide :o cheating yes I know, but so much easier to catch fish with :lol:

Just take down 1/2 the tank, use the small net to encourage which one you want down the other end. Ta da. :lol:

Afrikans idea with transporting females is good. Hard for me at the moment, I have 1 spare 2 footer, noticed yesterday 5 demasoni females holding :o Lucky male 8)

Frenchy :D