Whoa there ... female fighters have vertical bars?

SilverBlade86

Some of my very young males show vertical bars and some of my females don't. Can depend on the colour and age of the fish. You can get very pretty females, but generally the males have much longer fins and a bigger tail. A pic might help. Can you see the egg tube?

Yeah I can, I was talking to the guy from Organisms about it, and it was only when he said that females have vertical bars that I realized that I might have had a female instead of a male.

And yes Loopy, this was the big, aggressive guy that you said you had to get rid off. (Weird though, I did see him or her flare once ...)The other sadly did not do too well when I shifted him from the small tank to the big tank and passed away.

It can be hard to tell, I have hundreds of fighters and in one of my tanks I have females and ? (they're the ones I don't know what they are).

I had what I thought was a definate male a couple of days ago going around attacking my other 4 mth old males so I jarred him (or so I thought) to walk out to the room last night in time to see him! dropping eggs everywhere. My IT fish as I call them, if people want them I very clearly tell them I don't know but in saying that the bulk I can tell whether they're male or female.

• 2 weeks later...

An update, my friend bought a male fighter recently so I saw it as a good opportunity to test to see if it is a female. I've been feeding both fighters blood worms for the past week, and have now put the female in a container in the male's tank.

When they took notice of each other, they both started to flare. Do females flare at all?

No bars as far as I can see, but her colors have faded and her tail is clumped up.

Perhaps this is caused by the stress of the move?

I can see a big patch of bubbles which I assume is the male doing his thing. Both fighters have stopped flaring at each other and seem content to do their own thing. What next? Should I wait for a more definite sign before releasing the female into the tank?