Is this whitespot?

Andrew_W

based on that, i'm happy with your 8 tablespoon recommendation.

I'm going to stop using the blue circle white spot treatment, and stick to salt at 30degrees.

So far since Saturday, I have dosed with Blue Circle White Spot Cure, raise temp from 27 to 30, and added about 6 tablespoons of salt.

At this stage is a large water change advised? followed by more salt. or am i best to leave it, and do water change if water conditions deteriorate (ph, nitrates and the like)?

Cool looking pics Andrew.

Interesting to link salt treatment, when in reference to fish kept in hard water. Big difference to standard tropicals.

Did you read the part in the article about how this treatment is aimed at rift lake cichlids? The loaches in his case are used to hard water. The quote also states care with soft water species.

Can my fish handle salt? I wrote this article with African rift lake cichlids in mind, and I have successfully exposed my Malawi haps and clown loaches to a salt treatment without any problems. But these fish are accustomed to fairly hard water with a high pH. It is my understanding that species preferring soft water will not tolerate salt as well. If you keep soft water fish, please do your homework before proceeding with salt.

The same article said this too.

Salt should be added slowly over the course of 24-48 hours or so (always dissolve in a small container of tank water first).
:oops: I didn't see that mentioned.

Lower end, 8 tablespoons? To me the text reads as, use 6-9 tablespoons with heat treatment. Work up to 12-15 tablespoons if not using heat. Roughly to a 60litre tank in this case.

Based on everything that I’ve read to date, I would feel comfortable adding 2-3 tablespoons salt per 5 gallons if I were also using the high temperature treatment outlined above. If I were using salt alone, I would work my way up to 4-5 tablespoons per 5 gallons.

The link I placed up from Florida University is a general guide, for fish.

Fish can be dipped in a 3% (30,000 mg/L) solution for thirty seconds to several minutes, or they can be treated in a prolonged bath at a lower concentration (0.05% = 500 mg/L). Salt at low concentrations (0.01 to 0.05% solution) is an excellent means of controlling "Ich" in recirculating systems without harming the biofilter. An ultraviolet filter is recommended as an aid in preventing the spread of the parasite in a recirculating system.

Therefore, 30g to 60lt tank during treatment. Cut back to 6 grams per 60lt if you want to keep using salt after treatment.

The huge amount of salt to soft water will kill bacteria. Fish should be fine.

Just a tip, do a 50% water change with a gravel vac when you read this.

Also keep an eye on your ammonia, nitrate, nitrite levels over the next few weeks, just incase.

Frenchy :D

All depend on what other fish you have. I use 5 table spoon of salt in my 30L hopital tank. Tempreture around 30C. Start with 2 table spoon and add one table spoon per day. The loaches, platies, dwarf gourami and golden danio all handle it without a fuss. The plant is the one that suffer the most but you can move them to a temporary container and most will be fine in there for a few days.