What is this?

Adrienne

In one of my 4ft tanks I have this problem. Can anyone tell me what it is and what its being caused by? :(

Theres about 80 litres of water in the tank at the moment and the external filter flowrate is 390 lph. The tank has a small amount of floating weed and about 20 fighters 15mm long.

I have tried leaving the filter to settle for about 3 weeks and no visible difference.

Previously this filter was running in another tank the same size with no problems.

Surface of tank looking down

watersurface.jpg

Surface of tank when I stir the water

whenswirled.jpg

Inside the tank when I stir the water

insidetankwhenmixed.jpg

The tank looks fine looking in through the glass unless I have given it a mix around.

Thanks for that - I moved the outlet this evening just before I posted this and it looks a bit better, where the water is breaking the surface its now clear and the muck has moved down towards each end of the tank. Do you think I should clean out my filter or leave it a bit. My other option is also to get a power head for the tank, was trying to avoid it as this tank is the one I am going to use for my pretty young fighters.

I was worried that it might be a form of algae. Also noticed it in one of my planted tanks tonight, just at one edge.

im not too sure exactly :oops: in my case i didnt have much surface agitiation but i cant remember what else i had done differently (perhaps fed a different food or something)

You can lay a piece of paper towel down over the gunk and that should lift it off

Thanks again, also for the tip on how to remove the stuff. I didn't really have any surface movement until I moved the filter outlet earlier this evening to higher up in the tank as this is the tank for my smaller fighters. Each subsequent tank I have has more filter power and a bigger powerhead than the previous one.

Feeding a selection, a different variety twice a day but only small quantities which I have to crush a bit so they fit in the fishes mouths as the fish are still fairly small and not many in the tank -

TetraMin Tropical Granules - The Rich Mix

JBL Novo GranoColor

Sera Flake Menu

& Live BBS

I feed it in all of my 4 4ft tanks plus the 7 2fts I have.

Occasionally before this I have seen small amounts of film on my tanks which just seems to disappear by itself until now.