having a bad week --more help needed

sid 201

:( hi folks things arnt good in my tank -

first my female golden dwarf cichlid was injured

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/help-p ... 21043.html

then I put some melaflex (less than half dose!) into my main tank as several of my Neons had nipped fins-within an hour I noticed my golden pencils were looking stressed and were "gasping" at the top of the tank.

An emergency 60% water change and adding carbon to the filter didn't help and 5 out 6 died.I've since found out thet Pencil fish have trouble with Melafix although this was a worse reaction than I have read about.

now I've just noticed that some of the Neon tetras have white spots on their nose or lower jaw otherwise they seem fine- would post a photo but they arn't still long enough.

could this be white spot ? fungal infection?

Is there a generalised treatment (other than Melafix-I want my last pencil to survive) whichI could use?

• 3 weeks later...

I think what Jayci was meaning is all your good bacteria could have been killed. Your biological filter is pretty much your canister filter and your gravel, anywhere where the crud builds up i think. All the bacteria is what helps keep your tank at a happy healthy balanced pH,nitrite, nitrate etc and does all the chemical convertions needed and turns poo and wee into .... umm can't remember :oops: I think it helps if you think your filter as another fish which needs to be cared for. And if it has died, it will be rotting and contaminating your tank and making the rest of your fish ill. When you have bad water conditions your fish will be more sensitive to picking up infections and diseases. try fixing your water first by doing a gravel vacumn and a water change again and don't rush into throwing more chemicals into your tank.

• 2 weeks later...

ok -sorry it took so long but things have been all out here .

these photo's arn't the best and i've edited them so only the two fish affected are here.

if you look at the jaw&"nose" area you can see a bump -if I could have got a head on photo it looks to be an off white colour.

as the fish dont seem to be behaving differantly and the bump's arn't getting any bigger -I'm wondering if it could be some kind of scaring or birth defect??

the Fluran-2 treatment had no effect

f2ta3.th.jpg

f1on6.th.jpg

any Ideas as I wan't to get these little buggers back into my main tank so I can use the hospital tank to quarantine some replacement pencils