DIY Moonlights

Chazza404

Was looking into a DIY moonlight system, but was wondering if people have played with this before? I was reading the following article and that seemed quite good however its american so theres some difference in AC vs DC etc

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_moonlight.php

Also was wondering about if an adapter or whatever will down the voltage so it would be able to run the lights e.g. a capacitor, I've got a limited knowledge of electricity :D so any help would be appreciated

:bow: :bounce:

Easiest and safest way would be to make it with Light Emitting Diodes and power it from a small low voltage 'wall wart' power supply. They also last for YEARS.

You might even be able to get some of the computer 'modding' or car lights that would suit.

If you stick with the LEDs you are pretty safe, they run off low voltage and even if you do wire them up wrong all that happens is the go 'pop' with some smelly smoke.

Have a search on Trademe, there are lots of guys selling LED lighting gadgets there.

Cheers

Ian

Or you could just get a single blue cold cathode. I think if I make another moonlight that's what I'll do. Though, I've gotten a LOT better with soldering since then...So It's only likely to take me 10 times as long to solder up a bunch of LEDs and 2-3 third degree burns.

I got a funky blue LED ropelight for the new room as "moonlighting". Problem is, I need to reprogram it to kinda tone it down a little. It's almost got that crazy club blacklight feel and neon stuff glows, even on the most mellow "water effect" program running.

Will either reprogram or just cover sections of the ropelight with flexible conduit...

lol dance party neon lights :P maybe the fish want a disco ball aswell :lol:

I was just thinking of connectin cold cathode lights into a power supply, went into dick smith to check out what theyve got for power supply but couldnt see anything for DC 9V 1A, basically just wondering where u can get a power pack for 9 or 12V DC (Would check TM but at work :wink: )

They'll definately have something that does 9V DC or 12V DC, might just have to get one of those 'multi adaptors' does like 3V, 5V, 6V, 12V etc etc.

But its not terribly important, as long as you have the correct setup of LEDs for your powerpack and it is in DC current (not AC). LEDs use very little current, so you would definately not need 1A, a 200mA unit would be ample. Cold Cathode 1ft tubes seem to only be about 50mA too.

If you go with LED, then each LED in series is 3V. So if you had 24V DC power pack, you would run 8 LEDs in a row etc. Another place to find power packs are old christmas lights etc.

Unless you can measure the current the light is drawing its quite risky to just attach random adapters and call it working fine. While most extra low voltage adapters are current limited and have thermal protection in them, there is always a chance that you have one that doesn't, and overloading it may cause an "unplanned fire"

mine goes through a circuit breaker, then has multiple cut offs in the unit(Includes short circuit protection, automatic thermal cutoff and automatic overload protection), and is adjustable from 3V to 12V, and its on a timer so it only really has power for 2hours a day.

Unless you can measure the current the light is drawing its quite risky to just attach random adapters and call it working fine. While most extra low voltage adapters are current limited and have thermal protection in them, there is always a chance that you have one that doesn't, and overloading it may cause an "unplanned fire"

You can get multimeters that should be able to measure the amp draw of the lights from Dick Smith for something like $10.:)

Or just loook at the specs for the light, as long as the amp rating of the power supply is well over that you have nothing to worry about.

• 5 months later...

I picked up a small blue cold cathode from Jaycar a few days ago. It's actually a bit TOO bright.:) But other than that seems like it will work well once I get it properly installed instead of sitting on top of the tank plugged into a 12v brick.

One thing about aquarium lights that bugs me, is that I'd love to put a dimmer on them. So you can have a more gradual automated "dusk" at night. Too bad all aquarium lights are neon, which you can't dim.

Anyone know of a solution for that? I'd love to hear it.

Ahh the joy of long weekends. Going to the electronics shop, buying supplies and staying up way too late trying to figure out how to piece this all together.

Bought six 10mm blue LEDs, components to make a dimmer, power supply. Hopefully pics soon :') Or a post admitting my failure.