Shy BNs?

SilverBlade86

What can I do to make my BNs less shy? I've got both a male and a female and they do not seem to like to venture out often from their hiding spots. Is this common?

Edit - Tank is a 3 footer, have Swords, Guppies, Tiger Barbs and Angels in there. All fish are small and still growing.

They do tend to hide when possible, or blend in so well you don't see them when they are right in front of you! Mine only come out when I feed them so that is when I take the opportunity to count them and check for trouble.

If they are nocturnal, that explains a lot actually. They come out once in a while when the lights are off but hide when I try to take a look at them.

On a side note, my female Sword just gave birth! I got around 6 fry swimming around the tank and they are just starting to turn orange. How big are they when born and am I correct in saying that there probably was more but are eaten by the rest of the fish? They are around 2-3 mm long at this stage and are orange. When did she give birth? I didn't notice anything till my Dad saw a few orange things swimming in the floating plants.

A few tricks you can try...

Like has been said, make some more hiding places that you can see into easily. Those ceramic hollow 'logs' are good. More hiding places often encourages them to come out more as there is allways a convenient place nearby to hide.

Feed them just before lights out, in the same place. Turn off the tank lights but leave the room lights on. Once they get in to the habit they will associate the lights dimming and the tank lid rattling with food. Then just sit beside the tank quietly and see if they come out. Get them used to having people around the tank, they may startle when someone walks up, but they will get very used to someone sitting there quietly.

My big pleco is in a tank that sits between our computer desks, and he is out and about most of the time as we sit here. When he gets hungry he comes and sucks onto the front glass and waits for food. When I drop a disc in he races it to the bottom. My other pleco is in a tank on the other side of the kitchen where there is seldom anybody there. He hides as soon as anyone shows up. Caves are set up so you can still see him, but you have to look under a rock or the filter box. So one associates a person walking up with food, and the other still thinks danger.

Cheers

Ian

mine are out all the time and ignore me, i have to push them out of the way if i need to move them... maybe i've just terrorised them for long enough with my poking and prodding that they're numb... :lol:

I find if I feed mine by dropping the pellets along the front of the tank they will come out and feed if I stay very still. The moment you move, even slightly, they're off.

That method could help in getting them used to your presence SilverBlade86. Get them used to you sitting still watching them feed (even if you're really watching TV or reading a book :D ), and then see how they go

I tried turning the lights off but leaving the living room lights on. After half an hour, I saw my male BN sitting on the driftwood and staring at me. But when I tried to feed him he ran and hid.

You are on the right track though.

Try dropping some sinking food or a lump of vege in there when you turn the lights out. Then sit and watch TV beside the tank and see what happens. First few weeks it might be the same but eventually it will get bolder and treat you as part of the furniture. Not as a large and potentially plecy eating 'something'

Cheers

Ian

I find if u cut up some zucchini and place it along the front of the tank etc theyll be on that within an minute or two and theyll suck on it for quite a while, i stick mine into edges of wood or under rocks however my plecos love to be in the open especially the GBAs theyre fun :P

Update on the tank.

I've been feeding the tank once a day instead of 3 times a day, and leaving the lights off more often, as well as feeding in the same spot. I've noticed great results!

I see both BNs more often, and its fun to see them chase away other fish from eating their pellets. However, I noticed that my big "female" turns out to be a he! Now I see him chasing away the smaller male around the tank and away from the food. Now, I want to make sure I'm absolutely right before I swap him for a female, so how exactly do I know how big the bristles get? The bigger BN is easier to see as his bristles has now developed forks in it, so it has to be a male. The smaller BN has bristles as well, fairly large ones, but without forks. Whats a sure fire way to find out if my BNs are female?