Sparkling Gouramis

Luke*

Hey guys, I tried to buy a pair of these at the LFS but I'm not sure that they are. Does anyone know how to sex them or the behaviour they show then getting ready to spawn? I know they're eggnest builders. The book at the LFS said the anal fin is sharper on the males. Via google I read you may be able to see the ovaries in females. Anyone have any pics of a known male/female? Cheers :)

I've been trying to sex my five also - no luck yet. But I did read on the net somewhere that males have a brighter line of red dots above the black lateral line? Not sure if that is true or not?

I can't see the ovaries in mine either - so either I'm not looking in the right place or they are male? Apparently it is the males that croak at each other too - so if you catch them in the act that might give some clues as to sex.

Mel :wink:

Hi Luke,

I have 9 sparklings at the moment but they are really hard to sex. The only way probably to be accurate is to just watch them. The males click and fight each other (spinning around each other) and then the females are chased by the males. There are some things on google which tells you to look at the ovaries but I don't think that really works.

• 1 month later...