my tank...

janinealcox

Hi guys..

I think I have a problem... I have this new tank right and it's mint. Really liking it.

I have 2 ghost knives which really is what I've bought the tank for. On purchasing the tank this came with neon tetras (20 - now 19 :-? ) and Rummy noses (7 now 6 :-? ). Which I wasn't too keen about.

It would seem that my big fishies have been doing a spot of their own fishing at night whilst all is quiet.

The Neon's look really good.... but should i sell them?

:cry:

Pardon my newbie-ness but what is LFS??

I've done my research prior to putting the 2 in the tank and this is ok and doesn't mess with them.

They are inherently blind and hunt via electrical pulses that they send out and lateral line hunting. Having the 2 in the tank has not caused any issues. They've been together for the past 2 years now and get a little deflated if I remove one to another tank for any amount of time.

The rummy noses weren't on the vid as they tend to hide round the back of the tank. The same with the Ghosties they were hiding.

I'm also thinking of selling the torpedo barbs as I'm not that keen on them and the foxtrot that thinks it's a barb. -_- lolz. Most of the fish in this particular tank came with the purchase. I'm thinking of selling the lot and restocking with something else.. such as a fire eel.

I think those black ghosts are considered peacefull... toward any fish that it cant fit in it's mouth :-? If they can swallow something they will.

I think you will find more of the small fish vanish as the BGKs grow bigger. They are neat fish, but keep them with some bigger tankmates, Angels, Discus, Gouramis, Plecos etc.

Cheers

Ian

Yeap they will definately take out small fish, the BGK's mouth is almost hinge like so their mouth opens VERY wide... and they will consume anything that will fit and keep in mind they will grow up to 40-45cm fully mature. They are quick to. As mine grew his appetite grew to, and when he was hungry he would snap at anything that moved.. so even tho he may not have consumed larger fish, he would and could damage fins and tails etc.

You can have multiple ghostknifes in a tank.I had 4 of them 20cm plus at one stage same tank. The electrical charge is very weak. Ghostknifes are nearly or are blind. The pulse is just to navigate.

The problem more to do with them is that they can get agro towards each other.

As long as their is plenty of homes they will be fine. I used to use old gravel cleaner tubes, that way you can still see the fish. Rather than using a log.

I would sell your tetras & rummynose. They will be a food source. Ghosties will eat anything that fits in their mouth.

Frenchy :D

Hey thanks guys for all the help that you've given me on the Cardinals and Rummys.

I don't think they can fully fit in his mouth it's not that big but I'm sure he'll have a good try at it anyway.

So.. now onto trade me huh.

are really good together. This is my old tank and I've upgraded to the grandady of granddaddy tanks which they like a little better.

The trick to more than one I agree is lots of hidy holes in the tank so everyone has their own space to play with. Also you may have an 'alpha' fish which for my tank is a little obvious.

Thanks Guys :bow: