raising royal whiptail fry

Gannet

we i got to work to day and had about 25 fry still got abot 15 eggs,

they are in a tank by them selves with the parents, and filter wool on the out take to the sump to stop them getting sucked down.

they still have egg sacks so they rnt eating yet, i had got some cuecumber, zuequinie etc to put in the tank for them to eat...

they dad is about 15cm and mum about 10 cm so was realy suprised to get eggs off them...

is there anything else that i need to do to try and raise them up...

i know that there is only about a 25% success rate with these guys.

also i will only be able to get them to 20days old because as of the 20th of may 07 i will no longer be working at the animal shack.

They are very finicky eaters when they are small

Need high quality food with great water quality

The parents will eat the fry if given the chance really need to move the parents

Good luck raising them I know of a few people that really struggle

Brad

i disagree about the parents eating them

as for the babies feeding

. Sturisoma seem to like to perch on a high point in the aquarium. Keep them with fairly mellow tankmates. My specimen seems to like the company of a Farlowella that is in the same tank. They hang out side by side much of the day. Of course, feed lots of veggies such as cucumber, green beans, and squash. These fish do not bother plants in the slightest.

The males possess a thick growth of head bristles. Adults usually stay on opposite sides of the tank, but will start swimming together when they are ready to spawn. They will clean several possible spawning sites. They usually spawn on the tank glass, but will also spawn on leaves, slate, and the side of flower pots. The majority of spawnings have taken place in large, heavily planted, aquariums.

The female lays 3-4 eggs at a time and the male fertilizes the eggs as they are laid. Then the female lays more and on and on until 80-100 eggs are laid. The male guards the eggs which hatch at about 8 days. The yolk sac is consumed in two days and then you must feed the fry with infusoria and soft veggies. The fry can be very tough to raise.

hope this helps

Weird stuff, my royal whips that havent bred for nearly a year just started laying again, I have a few fry that are 3 weeks old and they just spawned again last night.

I have had sooo much trouble raising these things i just about gave up. I didnt have a single one survive from the last four spawns so hopefully get a few this time.

Anyway power feed with veges, keep the water clean and well oxygenated and you're on the right track. Once they reach the 6 week stage your all good :wink:

What type of sturisoma are they dude?

Yeah royal whip covers a few sturisoma species, i have S. festivum, awesome looking fish, if the dorsal has a hook thats what they are. S.panamense have a straight dorsal, still nice looking fish though

I still believe the parents will be a problem with them

I know alot of people that have had success raising the fry when the parents have been removed and virtually none survive when the parents were in the tank

Nothing else is changed in both situations

Brad

I dont think its the fact these guys get eaten in the tank with the parents..i think they starve. The fry are useless at feeding themselves and pretty much have to be sitting on it before they start eating.

• 2 weeks later...