sugar coated fish

GZ_Loach

Most of my fish in my 440L look like they got lightly dipped in sugar and my clown loaches and red jewels are acting different. whats the best/fastest way to cure them? theres alot of money swimming around in that tank :( Note have turned the heaters up to 28 degrees

also what cuases this? my tank has been setup for about 5months and iv never had a problem. i recently did a large water change with cold water, would that start it?

Sounds like whitespot... are they itching, scraping themselves on substrate etc?

Some people like to nip whitespot naturally, other's use meds..

I am one for natural before anything else, raise temp to 28-29 degrees, extra airation and a bit of tonic salt... raised temp speeds up whitespot cycle..

Cold water changes can definately cause it, especially when you have said "large water change" to. Too much of a shock to fishes system... some are more sensitive to this than others.

A good artical about ich

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php

I uses the tempreture and salt treatment for my fish including the loaches and it work. They can take salt just like the platies. Actually, they quite enjoy it. However, the smaller loach did not make it as the ich come and go for a week before I started the salt treatment. He is too weak to hang on for few more days. The only problem with salt and high tempreture is the plant doesn't like it.

If you want to use the medication, have a read at this post.

http://www.fishlore.com/Forum/3-freshwa ... ead.0.html

Carbon must come OUT when dosing tanks.

It is used later to remove the chemicals if you want to.

Redose the tank after removing the carbon filtration.

Follow the instructions on the bottle, and don't stop the treatment until it says so, even if it looks as tho you have beaten the malady.

Yes I read about this too. After getting rid of ich on my loaches with salt, I wonder how much truth is in this.

Well the same people I have read up on say to 1/2 dose parasite remedies because they are scaleless. Do you want to test that theory for me too? :lol:

there is a scientific reason, if I remember where to source it from.

I know of people that have killed loaches because they used the salt bath treatment.

It is not unusual for the dye to go in a day, depends on factors like heat of the tank, turn over of filtration, airation, plants.....medications themselves tend to only last for 8 hours max.

Frenchy :D

Well the same people I have read up on say to 1/2 dose parasite remedies because they are scaleless. Do you want to test that theory for me too? :lol:

If the 1/2 dose parasite remedies doesn't work after 10 days of following the inst, what will you do?