How to make an incubator???

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

A month or so ago one of my 'male' waterdragons laid eggs, unfortunately I found them too late. But I want to be ready for next season. I've seperated the pair from the others and was wanting to start wintering them soon (not completely sure on the dates for wintering).

Repto, I've seen your setup, but I didnt ask to see how you incubate the eggs! I've seen a few rough ones, but they didnt seem very reliable with the temp.

Any tips on making an incubator would be awesome.

Thanks.

It can be as simple or complex as you like,you can get away with a lot more variance in temps than you can with birds. I have used everything from under the waterbed to hotwater cupboard and homemade incubators,floating containers in fish tanks and hovabator incubators. All will work but the professional made one takes alot of the worry out of it when you are trying to hatch out something rare and valuable. For $250 or so I would say a hovabator would be a good investment.

goodluck.

It has a plastic tray in the bottom which you can/suppose to fill with water, but ive been abit slack this year checking that which hasnt effected my turtle eggs as theyre in ice cream containers inside the incubator which get a mist every so often.

For an idea of size it fits 4 icecream containers inside perfectly!

Yes you can overdo it with moisture!!

Depending on what species you are doing.Redears can take a lot of different rates of moisture but in my early days I actually had one swell up and pop.Now I just mix the vermiculite 50/50 by weight with water and inside a closed icecream container have a damp paper towel over the eggs which are half buried. Check weekly, if the paper is dry, dampen again if not, leave it.

Look at your eggs,if they are shrinking and fertile up the moisture if not wait till next week.Things like snake necks can sit and sit till they get a jump in humidity to trigger the hatch. Boxies can get really dry, almost caved right in and you can swell them up again with more moisture.Too much moisture usually goes with mould as well which will stuff things up big time in no time.