Tank mate for a Bichir?!

fishy_t

Yes you can still get the african knife but it will out grow your tank but then so will your bichir. $30-35 normaly give ur local fish shop a call and see if they can get you one...also butterflys eat worms and pretty much anything that floats. wax moth bugs work well. $49.00 from memmory.

congo tetras work as wel.. kribs will one day get eaten.

real cute little fishy you go there

It looks like a little P. palmas, same as mine! I keep mine with three uaru, a tiger dat, clown loaches and (in about an hours time) a big fire eel. Mine seems to be pretty laid back, I think they'd be alright with anything big enough to avoid being a snack, but nothing too teritorial or aggressive. That said, I've seen photos on MFK of people keeping bichirs with CA cichlids (and I've I have a friend who keeps a large ornate with a big texas cichlid, pics) , however I wouldn't recomend it.

Try to train it to hand-feed, thats about the only way mine seems to get food, too slow/lazy.blind to compete with a hungry dat, 3 uaru and 4 big loaches!!

So what do you hand feed him? Worms? or just pellets etc?

I think I'll definatly give it a go!

Mine is always very active and he's usually out and about all day. I think I'm going to give him some kribs to be friends with, its not a biggy if he does eat them eventually, and in the mean time I'm sure they'll 'make' some food for him to pick off!

So what do you hand feed him? Worms? or just pellets etc?

I think I'll definatly give it a go!

Usually beef heart, prawn or frozen bloodworms/discus tucker etc, anything meaty really. I've seen him eat shrimp pellets too.

One thing to watch out for is eating gravel. I noticed mine doing it and straight away removed all the gravel as the size of the stones, well I can only imagine what they felt like coming out! :o

I keep him on fine 'grit' now, HFF sell it, and some pool shops stock it as pool filter sand.

BTW where/when did you get it? Still looks quite small compaired to mine, and I'm guessing they both would have come from the same lot.

That said, I've seen photos on MFK of people keeping bichirs with CA cichlids (and I've I have a friend who keeps a large ornate with a big texas cichlid, pics) , however I wouldn't recomend it.

Oh c'mon the texas and bichir love each other... couldnt ever separate them.

Try to train it to hand-feed, thats about the only way mine seems to get food, too slow/lazy.blind to compete with a hungry dat, 3 uaru and 4 big loaches!!

Yeah hand feed them, beef heart, prawns, cichlid tucker. Heck my old flatmate left some old squid tubes and baby octopus in the freezer and they love it!