Where to find some freshwater pufferfish????????

HaNs

Im having some trouble finding some fresh water puffers. Wouldnt mind if they where dwarfs as then i could breed them(if im lucky) and supply other people in nz and get the numbers up. Any one know of any shops with and puffer fish. Iv tried Hollywood fish farms but they cant get them. :cry:

try a bichir they get to about 30 cm

p_senegalus-juv1.jpg

Yeh i saw one on trademe not long ago, might get some more ghost knife fish and breed them as it doesnt look like i will be getting any puffers. I might put a fire eel in my 370L tank and put the kife's in the 90L with a few bichir's...hrm any other fascinating fish out there?

try a bichir they get to about 30 cm

Easier said than done! Hollywood have one senegal left, after thats gone you'll hard pressed to find any for sale anywhere, and AFAIK there isnt going to be more imported. I wish I'd bought more than one so I could try breeding them.

They'll get too big for a 90L tank anyway, 30cm is for the smaller species.... ;)

They are closed, but i talked to them :D ...they have none in stock...they could be able to get them in but said that i had to check with MAF about what they can bring in. I was thinking about 4/5 dwarf puffers in a 90L tank so i could breed a few and get the numbers up. Am i able to import them myself? if so where is a good place to try?

from maf-

Carinotetraodon lorteti Sumatran red eye puffer

Carinotetraodon travancoricus Dwarf puffer

Tetraodon biocellatus Figure eight pufferfish

Tetraodon cochinchinensis Mekong dragon puffer

Tetraodon fluviatilis Green pufferfish

Tetraodon lineatus Globe fish

Tetraodon nigroviridis Spotted green pufferfish

Tetraodon palembangensis Figure eight puffer

Tetraodon suvattii Pig nose puffer

i think thats them all- all the puffers which can be imported. to import you must have a liscence.

from maf-

Carinotetraodon lorteti Sumatran red eye puffer

Carinotetraodon travancoricus Dwarf puffer

Tetraodon biocellatus Figure eight pufferfish

Tetraodon cochinchinensis Mekong dragon puffer

Tetraodon fluviatilis Green pufferfish

Tetraodon lineatus Globe fish

Tetraodon nigroviridis Spotted green pufferfish

Tetraodon palembangensis Figure eight puffer

Tetraodon suvattii Pig nose puffer

i think thats them all- all the puffers which can be imported. to import you must have a liscence.

Figure eight pufferfish get to about 8cm and look better than the dwarfs IMO. I plan on using my 90l tank to start off with so i need smallish puffers. I have emaild Redwood them to see what the prices would be(if they can get them)

Carinotetraodon lorteti

they had one at hollywoods albany a while back ! wish i got him when i was there , alas the next time i went he was gone :-?

:cry: Im trying to import some if anyone else is keen we can order together :D

i'm not sure how much success you will have breeding dwarf puffers- they are really difficult to breed. by all means give it a go. hundreds of people on here are clamouring for dwarf puffers. i myself have a suvatii and am looking for a scond currently- as far as i am aware the suvatii has only been bred in captivity about 5x before.