Hibernating Turtles, Anyone got any tips?

Ive want me turtles (red ears an maybe me snakenecks) to hibernate this year so not gonna heat their pond/s etc.

Just been reading up a lil on the net and suggests (red ears atleast) they burrow into soil/seddement in the bottom of the pond?

Or reading "keeping red-eared turtles in NZ" by TJ Thornton his book suggests putting them in a wooden box with soil and sphagnum moss etc, cant say i like the sound of puttin me turtles in a box somewhere and the chances of keeping it cold enough arnt as great as just leaving them in their pond surely?.

I know to stop feeding them a week or 2 b4 hibernation etc but dont know much else really :oops:

Im geussing most people who have them in ponds just leave em to it but just wundered if anyone on here had any advice from experience etc

Also curious about hibernating Reeves turtles aswell as the snakenecks and redears. . .

Cheers

Matt

Mine just stay in their pond, disappear when it gets cold, then when it warms up again they are popping their noses up looking for food again.

The shoe box system is very easy.

Put them in the box as described then put them in the vege drawer in the fridge.

Constant temp is what you are aiming at.

Well, I've not hibernated our two RES (still inside). But our vet hibernates his outside in their pond no problems.

Which is what we will do when we get our own house, and pond.

If I remember right (from when I was looking into getting some) you can't hibernate Reeves. As for Snake necks, I'm not sure, but it could be risky.

~W

I have been doing mine for years with no problems, I tell people to stop feeding at the end of the financial year(31st march) and resume on labour weekend,you can extend this time with experience but it is a good general rule of thumb to follow.As already said your turts must be in good health and condition beforehand,once the temps drop below 18 digestion is slowed and any further drop can stop it with food left in the stomach to rot and kill the turtle a result.The other thing is just leave them alone,you can`t be picking them up checking on them etc,trust nature to work,it does quite well and has for a long time.I used to check mine at night with a torch to see if they were still alive but nowdays are confident to leave them to it.They still come out to bask on sunny days and the males are alot more active than the females,some seem to go deeper into than others and you never see them even on a hot day.