are JARDINI ever going to be put on fish lists again ?

snookie

How big do jardini get? Also what fish could they be kept with? And WHat is the minimum tank size? Thanks

Gorgeous looking fish, and one that I thought looked familar from a friends Aussie fishing photos.

I've just looked it up in the book "Freshwater Fishes of Australia" and indeed it is a very sought after angling species known in Australia as the Gulf Saratoga, Scleropages jardinii (there's another species known as saratoga or spotted barramundi, S. leichardtl). Both species like hanging under floating vegetation such as water lillies and feed mainly on surface prey such as frogs, aquatic insects and crustaceans.

Anglers often target them by casting soft plastic lures such as imitiation frogs at the gaps in the water lilies. They are suseptible to overfishing so they are often caught and released.

They are usually solitary and territorial and spawn prior to the wet season when surface temps approach 30 C. Both species commonly grow to 55 cm but may get to 100 cm.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hay people ive hade myne for alittle while now with tank mates smaller and all other sizes including the giant gourami @ 45cm10times bigger in every way . the only aggresion in the tank is wen i walk past and the gourami sees me from the other end of the tank then swims as fast as she can into the end that im at till i feed her. or shell tri bite your fingers through the glass if you rub the tank. even the cat stays away.

http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n174/sas137/