Rocks

bOi

What rocks you guys use? Ive been searching for rough faced rocks now. Previously I had slates and those round ones that slip occasionally. However, i did see some volcanic rocks I think.. they were reddish brown in colour. Would this be alright?? Has anyone used this?

I have read about people using forms of volcanic rock in African setups and it has been fine. Guess you would have to be selective.

I use Kati Kati Red, you should be able to get it down that way??

It is really nice and ages really nice in the tank after a while, looks really natural.

I use alot of limestone in with my Malawis and other Tanganyikan tanks.. and Aragonite substrate.. I use the Kati Kati Red in the Fron tank, the dark red/brown colour looks great against the Frons colouring.

If you can get your hands on Dolomite Rock then that is a good one to use. Often used in African setups.

http://www.galleries.com/minerals/carbonat/dolomite/dolomite.htm

Hi

My first Malawi setup was with Volcanic Rock which looked awesome in a six foot tank piled right to the top but found that alot of my fish kept scraping themselves against the rock causing themselves injuries. One jammed himself against the glass and rock and lost an eye :(

Dolomite rock would be good but dont bother with dolomite gravel as it washes the colour out of the fish making them look pale.

Iam now starting to use alot of coral rock and lime stone (the flat stuff and rock form). You lucky people in ChCh have millions of the stuff down there.